Intal aerosol solution
Generic Name: cromolyn (KROE-moe-lin)
Brand Name: Intal
Intal aerosol solution is used for:
Preventing asthma attacks. It is not used to treat sudden asthma attacks. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Intal aerosol solution is a mast cell stabilizer. It works by stabilizing mast cells and preventing them from releasing their irritating chemicals. Some forms of recurrent or chronic asthma are due to the release of irritating chemicals from mast cells located in the breathing tubes (bronchial tubes of the lung).
Do NOT use Intal aerosol solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Intal aerosol solution
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Intal aerosol solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with Intal aerosol solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Intal aerosol solution. However, no specific interactions with Intal aerosol solution are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Intal aerosol solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Intal aerosol solution:
Use Intal aerosol solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Before using Intal aerosol solution, be sure that the canister is properly inserted into the inhaler unit and shake well.
- Exhale slowly and deeply.
- Unless your doctor has told you otherwise, position the mouthpiece between your lips and try to rest your tongue flat.
- Your doctor may have told you to hold the inhaler 1 or 2 inches (2 or 3 centimeters) away from your open mouth or may have instructed you to use a special spacing device.
- As you start to take a slow, deep breath, press the canister and mouthpiece together at exactly the same time to administer a dose of Intal aerosol solution. Continue inhaling slowly and deeply and hold your breath for as long as comfortable, then exhale slowly through pursed lips or through your nose.
- If more than 1 inhalation is to be used, wait a few minutes and repeat the above process.
- Rinse your mouth or gargle with water after using Intal aerosol solution to prevent mouth sores or bad taste.
- Keep track of the number of sprays you use and subtract this number from the number of doses in the container. This will help you know when the container is becoming empty.
- When the dose is delivered, you will see a fine white mist. If the mist is escaping from your mouth or nose, then you are not using the inhaler correctly.
- You may clean the inhaler by removing the metal canister and rinsing the plastic mouthpiece in warm water twice a week. Never put the canister completely under water.
- Do not puncture, break, or burn container, even if it appears empty.
- Continue to use Intal aerosol solution even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Intal aerosol solution, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Intal aerosol solution.
Important safety information:
- Intal aerosol solution may cause drowsiness. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Intal aerosol solution.
- Avoid spraying Intal aerosol solution in your eyes. If you get Intal aerosol solution in your eyes, immediately rinse your eyes out with cool tap water.
- If you are also using a bronchodilator inhaler, be sure to always carry the bronchodilator inhaler with you to use during asthma attacks.
- A few weeks may pass before the full benefit is obtained. Continue to use it as directed during this time.
- A spacing device might help lessen side effects such as mouth sores or bad taste.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Intal aerosol solution.
- Carry an identification card at all times that says you are taking Intal aerosol solution.
- Always have a spare inhaler available in case the unit malfunctions or is empty.
- Intal aerosol solution is not recommended for use in CHILDREN younger than 5 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you are pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Intal aerosol solution during pregnancy. It is unknown if Intal aerosol solution is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding, check with your doctor to discuss the benefits and risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Intal aerosol solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Bad taste; cough; drowsiness; hoarseness; nausea; throat irritation or dryness; tightness in the lungs; wheezing.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); breathing problems; severe nasal congestion.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Intal aerosol solution:
Store Intal aerosol solution at room temperature between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C) away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep the cap on Intal aerosol solution when it is not in use. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Intal aerosol solution out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Intal aerosol solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Intal aerosol solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information is a summary only. It does not contain all information about Intal aerosol solution. If you have questions about the medicine you are taking or would like more information, check with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.