User Reviews for Spiriva

Learn more about Spiriva.

COPD, Maintenance 44 reviews 37 medications

7.2
Summary of Spiriva reviews 44 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Spiriva

For COPD, Maintenance "Was prescribed Spiriva when ill with bronchitis (never prescribed a maintenance inhaler although have emphysema for 2 years-only used rescue inhaler). After 45 days of use experienced moderate to extreme coughing that did not produce mucus, dry mouth, cloudy urine, wheezing as though lungs were filled with cotton, heartburn, flushing, chills, shortness of breath. Still had to use rescue inhaler 3-4 times per day. Stopped use, all symptoms ceased. Will ask pulmonologist for another brand. Everyone's tolerance is different."

64 yr old female (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "Almost drowned sitting up. Diagnosed with COPD. Leg cramps and back pain. Taking Spiriva and Symbicort Will try potassium pills to see if tired legs go away. Been taking Spiriva since last October 28. Im breathing ok. Not normal but ok. Haven't used rescue inhaler yet. I give myself oxygen therapy at night and a few blasts in the am. Breathing in thru nose and out with pursed lips to help . If you care about someone who smokes tell them how bad it is. It really sucks. It beats you up."

Quit Smoking Joe (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "Recently, I went to the emergency room with a blood pressure of 212 - 231 over 100 and pulse 68. Nothing was wrong physiologically, the ER doctor suggested reviewing my many medications with my primary doctor and cardiologist. I tend to be proactive and while doing this I dialed back my meds to the bare minimum which left blood pressure medication, aspirin and Asthma inhaler, thus eliminating my Spiriva despite not having any side effects. Today after a couple of days, off of Spiriva, I had real difficulty breathing and shall breathing, so much so that I cut my activities short to get home and rest. I reviewed the Spiriva side effects and applicable to me would be increased heart rate, and in my case a benefit. Can't live without Spiriva"

Don R (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "Spiriva Respimat is amazing. It has made a huge quality of life difference for me. I haven't been able to breathe this well for years."

Mamasita1 March 23, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "I have been taking 18MCG caps evey morning for almost sixteen (16!) years. It, alondgwith 4 inhalations of 160/4.5 Symbicort, 2 w/the S. in morning, two in evening ,have helped manage my mid-level empysema all that time. Emphysema can and does kill, of course; and it does really not improve much if at all; quite the contrary. But my physicians and my personal discipline (rare, usually!) have helped me do rather nicely into my 86th year. (Cost depends on where I am in MedC Part D. $45/mo until donut hole, then closer to $250/mo."

Falco (taken for 10 years or more) March 2, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "The first few years, I didn't puff Spiriva daily, and I didn't think it worked. As my COPD got worse I used it daily. It took about 1 month to work, but it really helps."

Thor283 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 26, 2015

For COPD, Maintenance "Was diagnosed with COPD Emphysema several years ago.Have been using Spiriva since but still cannot say that I notice any benefit. My GP's, chest nurses, and consultants (9 different ones over the years) maintain that I am benefitting from using it. Do suffer from leg cramps, so will be trying Potassium supplements to see if they help."

DavidMB November 10, 2014

For COPD, Maintenance "Works well."

M B M (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2014

For COPD, Maintenance "My COPD was not getting any easier to live with. I stopped taking one medicine because it seemed to just make things worse. The Dr was not very helpful. But she did say well you can try Spiriva. I waited almost a week to try it. But when I had some time off from work, I decided it was time to give it a shot. I felt better quickly, but only for a few hours. I continued using it, and I must say that after 3 weeks, I am feeling much better. I got up this morning and did not even reach for the Albuterol. I am hopeful now and I do recommend this medication. Side effects have been minor. Dry mouth is the only thing I can link to the medicine. I have started taking Potassium supplements again to overcome the leg cramps which may be a side effect."

sceptic of everything (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2014

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "I started using Spiriva a month ago. The breathing was easier but after one month of taking it every morning I started having chest pains starting about 10 minutes after the treatment and lasting for an hour or so. Then I began having crushing tightness in my chest. I have completely quit the Spiriva."

Steve2 January 4, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "For the last four years I have been taking Spiriva before bed. Recently I switched to morning. What a difference! My daytime breathing has really improved. "

darstark (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2013

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "I've been on Spiriva for 6 months now with only dry mouth as an issue, so I keep hard candy around to suck on, I was at the point where I could not walk up a few steps without losing my breath, but now I can breath again!"

Gumby cat March 31, 2013

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "Spiriva works well for me. I have early stage Emphysema. No more breathlessness. I take it first thing in the morning. Rarely use my Ventolin inhaler now and other than an itchy nose, no side effects. I am a pensioner and the government pays almost all of the cost."

Jenny IR March 5, 2013

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "I was prescribed Spiriva about a year ago. At first it was easier breathing with it. I developed, over time, issues. Ocular Migraines, severe dry mouth, muscle pain, coughing that I didn't put together with the Spiriva. A few weeks ago I began having badly blurred vision and did notice that it was happening about an hour after using Spiriva. I looked up the side effects online and found that this was a bad side effect of the drug. I stopped taking it and called my doctor. He simply told me to stop using it, but he did not tell me that some people get severe withdrawal symptoms. After three days I had severe panic/anxiety attacks, lighheadedness and felt like I was losing my mind. I was taking Xanax twice a day. All is gone now."

cat5400 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2013

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "I'm 48 and have the capacity of an 81 year old woman due to years of smoking. I have smoked very few cigarettes since last week when I found out how bad my lungs are and thanks to hardly smoking and the Spiriva I am doing MUCH better! Only side effect is a REALLY itchy nose/dry sinuses/stuffy (really stuffy) nose...but it's much better to be able to take a deep breath and function again! Side effects are nothing compared to gasping for air! Love Spiriva!"

CarolinaRN (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2013

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "Hello everyone; Let me say that upon using Spiriva the first time I noticed that I no longer have severe breathlessness (which developed from Pneumonia July 2012 fro surgery complications). Let me also say IMPORTANTLY if anyone has bronchitis in the lungs to please do whatever necessary to clear it up, if anyone smokes QUIT! Don't wait like I did to have a dangerous bronchial attack, in my case I was at the E.R to get a jet-nab treatment when it hit, was told had I been away from the hospital I wouldn't have survived, since that night 10/19/2011 I haven't touched one cigarette, not even one drag. I also concur that I'm not having to use my albuterol like I was."

Anonymous October 21, 2012

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "I have been prescibed Spiriva for almost 7 years and have found a marked improvemment in my breathing and ability to carry on a normal active day. I have not experienced any adverse side effects the only effects have been totally positive. I don't think I can give it up now. As far as cost goes, my HMO covers it. I think its a great medicine. Thank you the inventor."

siggyman (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 9, 2012

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "Spiriva has been a miracle for me. Yes there is some hoarseness, sinus issues and difficulty urinating, but for me the benefits far outweigh the side-effects. The inhalers did nothing for my COPD - Spiriva made a HUGE difference in my ability to take in air. My illness is more emphysema type of COPD. I love it - 2 days without it and I can tell a huge difference. With Spiriva I can breathe again."

tnlobo420 February 5, 2012

108 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "Started using Spiriva in 2003 and noticed much improvement in breathing and endurance. As my emphysema has worsened and flare-ups occurred more frequently, my pulmonologist added Onbrez and it too is very helpful. The combination is effective for me, FEV1 went from 37% to 52%. My principal side effect is dry mouth, but a sip of water now and then beats shortness of breath or worse."

gmsjpt December 29, 2011

For COPD, Maintenance "My husband started using Spiriva last Wednesday. He was breathing easier but by Sunday, then he began having crushing tightness in his chest, difficulty breathing, pulse rates of 111, high blood pressure and chest pain. We took him to the ER because we thought he was having a heart attack. It turned out to be a severe allergic reaction to Spiriva. He won't be using it anymore. He also had dry mouth and difficulty urinating which are also side effects."

Anonymous December 8, 2011

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "I have only been using Spiriva for two months and find it more convenient than other medicines but wonder why every time I purchase new prescription it includes a new hand held device, adding to the expense."

Anonymous October 12, 2011

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "After two weeks using Spiriva the wheezing and loose phlegm have all but disappeared."

nymoose1 October 7, 2011

For COPD, Maintenance "I have taken this medicine on and off for 2 years and the side effects outweigh the benefits. Terrible night cramps, dry mouth, coldness down to the bone all the time which goes away when I stop taking it. I can breath better with it but it is not worth the other side effects. I have had Bronchitis and asthma since I was 8 yeas old and I am now 70."

ttyme October 3, 2011

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For COPD, Maintenance "My Doctor put me on Spiriva a year ago for my COPD. It has helped me to be able to breathe so much better. I used to be sick all the time and had bronchitis every 2 months that went by. Since Spiriva, I have not been sick but a few times. It is a blessing to me."

Anonymous September 30, 2011

For COPD, Maintenance "At first, lung function was markedly improved, then I started having rapid and irregular heart problems, along with high blood pressure. Because I was also taking Atrovent, my Doctor told me that I shouldn't take both. He decreased the Spiriva and my heart problems subsided. Unfortunately, I have lost some lung function, my activity level has decreased probably 70% and I am living on inhalers every 3hrs. And I feel like an elephant has parked himself on my chest! Quality of life is minimal so I'm ready to resume taking Spiriva."

Anonymous August 2, 2011