User Reviews for Spiriva

Learn more about Spiriva.

COPD, Maintenance 36 reviews 36 medications

7.2
Summary of Spiriva reviews 36 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Spiriva

Review by sceptic of everything (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: My COPD was not getting any easier to live with. I stopped taking one medicine because it seemed to just make things worse. The Dr was not very helpful. But she did say well you can try Spiriva. I waited almost a week to try it. But when I had some time off from work, I decided it was time to give it a shot. I felt better quickly, but only for a few hours. I continued using it, and I must say that after 3 weeks, I am feeling much better. I got up this morning and did not even reach for the Albuterol. I am hopeful now and I do recommend this medication. Side effects have been minor. Dry mouth is the only thing I can link to the medicine. I have started taking Potassium supplements again to overcome the leg cramps which may be a side effect.

March 7, 2014 10:24 AM
Review by Steve2: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: I started using Spiriva a month ago. The breathing was easier but after one month of taking it every morning I started having chest pains starting about 10 minutes after the treatment and lasting for an hour or so. Then I began having crushing tightness in my chest. I have completely quit the Spiriva.

January 4, 2014 1:40 AM
Review by darstark (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: For the last four years I have been taking Spiriva before bed. Recently I switched to morning. What a difference! My daytime breathing has really improved.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 28, 2013 7:21 PM
Review by Gumby cat:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: I've been on Spiriva for 6 months now with only dry mouth as an issue, so I keep hard candy around to suck on, I was at the point where I could not walk up a few steps without losing my breath, but now I can breath again!

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 31, 2013 10:41 AM
Review by Jenny IR: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: Spiriva works well for me. I have early stage Emphysema. No more breathlessness. I take it first thing in the morning. Rarely use my Ventolin inhaler now and other than an itchy nose, no side effects. I am a pensioner and the government pays almost all of the cost.

March 5, 2013 11:33 PM
Review by cat5400 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: I was prescribed Spiriva about a year ago. At first it was easier breathing with it. I developed, over time, issues. Ocular Migraines, severe dry mouth, muscle pain, coughing that I didn't put together with the Spiriva. A few weeks ago I began having badly blurred vision and did notice that it was happening about an hour after using Spiriva. I looked up the side effects online and found that this was a bad side effect of the drug. I stopped taking it and called my doctor. He simply told me to stop using it, but he did not tell me that some people get severe withdrawal symptoms. After three days I had severe panic/anxiety attacks, lighheadedness and felt like I was losing my mind. I was taking Xanax twice a day. All is gone now.

February 19, 2013 11:17 AM
Review by CarolinaRN (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: I'm 48 and have the capacity of an 81 year old woman due to years of smoking. I have smoked very few cigarettes since last week when I found out how bad my lungs are and thanks to hardly smoking and the Spiriva I am doing MUCH better! Only side effect is a REALLY itchy nose/dry sinuses/stuffy (really stuffy) nose...but it's much better to be able to take a deep breath and function again! Side effects are nothing compared to gasping for air! Love Spiriva!

January 21, 2013 2:52 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: Hello everyone; Let me say that upon using Spiriva the first time I noticed that I no longer have severe breathlessness (which developed from Pneumonia July 2012 fro surgery complications). Let me also say IMPORTANTLY if anyone has bronchitis in the lungs to please do whatever necessary to clear it up, if anyone smokes QUIT! Don't wait like I did to have a dangerous bronchial attack, in my case I was at the E.R to get a jet-nab treatment when it hit, was told had I been away from the hospital I wouldn't have survived, since that night 10/19/2011 I haven't touched one cigarette, not even one drag. I also concur that I'm not having to use my albuterol like I was.

October 21, 2012 3:31 PM
Review by siggyman (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: I have been prescibed Spiriva for almost 7 years and have found a marked improvemment in my breathing and ability to carry on a normal active day. I have not experienced any adverse side effects the only effects have been totally positive. I don't think I can give it up now. As far as cost goes, my HMO covers it. I think its a great medicine. Thank you the inventor.

August 9, 2012 2:51 PM
Review by tnlobo420: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: Spiriva has been a miracle for me. Yes there is some hoarseness, sinus issues and difficulty urinating, but for me the benefits far outweigh the side-effects. The inhalers did nothing for my COPD - Spiriva made a HUGE difference in my ability to take in air. My illness is more emphysema type of COPD. I love it - 2 days without it and I can tell a huge difference. With Spiriva I can breathe again.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 5, 2012 9:27 AM
Review by gmsjpt: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: Started using Spiriva in 2003 and noticed much improvement in breathing and endurance. As my emphysema has worsened and flare-ups occurred more frequently, my pulmonologist added Onbrez and it too is very helpful. The combination is effective for me, FEV1 went from 37% to 52%. My principal side effect is dry mouth, but a sip of water now and then beats shortness of breath or worse.

December 29, 2011 4:56 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: My husband started using Spiriva last Wednesday. He was breathing easier but by Sunday, then he began having crushing tightness in his chest, difficulty breathing, pulse rates of 111, high blood pressure and chest pain. We took him to the ER because we thought he was having a heart attack. It turned out to be a severe allergic reaction to Spiriva. He won't be using it anymore. He also had dry mouth and difficulty urinating which are also side effects.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 8, 2011 2:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: I have only been using Spiriva for two months and find it more convenient than other medicines but wonder why every time I purchase new prescription it includes a new hand held device, adding to the expense.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 12, 2011 6:19 PM
Review by nymoose1: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: After two weeks using Spiriva the wheezing and loose phlegm have all but disappeared.

October 7, 2011 7:18 PM
Review by ttyme: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: I have taken this medicine on and off for 2 years and the side effects outweigh the benefits. Terrible night cramps, dry mouth, coldness down to the bone all the time which goes away when I stop taking it. I can breath better with it but it is not worth the other side effects. I have had Bronchitis and asthma since I was 8 yeas old and I am now 70.

October 3, 2011 12:08 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: My Doctor put me on Spiriva a year ago for my COPD. It has helped me to be able to breathe so much better. I used to be sick all the time and had bronchitis every 2 months that went by. Since Spiriva, I have not been sick but a few times. It is a blessing to me.

September 30, 2011 7:35 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: At first, lung function was markedly improved, then I started having rapid and irregular heart problems, along with high blood pressure. Because I was also taking Atrovent, my Doctor told me that I shouldn't take both. He decreased the Spiriva and my heart problems subsided. Unfortunately, I have lost some lung function, my activity level has decreased probably 70% and I am living on inhalers every 3hrs. And I feel like an elephant has parked himself on my chest! Quality of life is minimal so I'm ready to resume taking Spiriva.

August 2, 2011 1:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: I started taking Spiriva almost 3 weeks ago but have been advised to stop taking it as of today. I've had awful side effects that have built up.. dry mouth, sinus problems, blood in my mucus when I blow my nose, blurred vision, dizziness, palpitations. I do know of people it has helped but does anybody else have same problems as me?

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 30, 2011 5:09 PM

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: After 3 days of use, my voice becomes very hoarse and I feel like I have a wad of phlegm caught in my throat which I am not able to clear. Because of this, I only use it now and then.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 17, 2010 11:12 AM
Review by blimba1:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: Living in UK. My specialist prescribed this medicine 2 days ago and I can't believe the difference it has made. I feel about 70% better already. I just can't believe the difference already ,it's fantastic.

October 2, 2010 9:34 PM

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: I find this medicine extremely helpful. I was hospitalized 6 times last year and not once this year!

July 9, 2010 9:40 PM
Review by wolfman7h:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: Spiriva caused my breathing to worsen. I experienced the dry mouth symptom. Spiriva did NOT break up mucous. I noticed NO relief. After about a week of use I was forced to stop it's use and resort to my rescue inhaler (Primatine). God bless those whom this medication helps but it is not for me. It seems I have had a paradoxical effect.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 29, 2010 1:51 PM
Review by ths1144:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: I have Homogenious/Diffused Emphysema, my doctor put me on Spiriva back in 2002 before it came into the US, I got it from Europe. This drug has helped to contract the hyperexpansion of my lungs so they can function better and by doing so has taken my functional vital capacity from 30% to 50%. I only take Spiriva nothing else one capsule every morning. I do not know why more doctors are not prescribing it. For me it has been the closest thing to lung volume reduction surgery without the surgery.

November 3, 2009 8:15 PM
Review by Breathingfreely:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: First day for Spiriva. What a difference in breathing. I was struggling for breath this morning due to inflammation. Had to stop taking Advair, due to vocal changes. This appears to be a wonder drug. No side effects to report. Just much better breathing. It's amazing. I'm glad my doctor prescribed this medication for me to replace Advair.

October 17, 2009 9:20 AM
Review by big weezer: User Rating:

Spiriva (tiotropium) for COPD, Maintenance: Spiriva has greatly reduced my wheezing and congestion, in addition to increasing lung capacity. So I guess you can say that Spiriva is just what the doctor ordered!!

October 1, 2009 11:15 PM