Generic Name: glucosamine (Not applicable.)
Brand Name: Generics only. No brands available.
Glucosamine is used for:
Promoting joint and cartilage health. It may also have other uses. Check with your pharmacist for more details regarding the particular brand you use.
Glucosamine is a cellulose-like combination product containing naturally occurring "building blocks" used by the body to make cartilage. It is thought to work by stimulating the production of cartilage, which leads to joint repair. It also protects cartilage and stops it from breaking down.
Do NOT use glucosamine if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in glucosamine
- you are pregnant
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using glucosamine:
Some medical conditions may interact with glucosamine. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are planning to become pregnant or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods (especially seafood), or other substances
- if you are taking an arthritis medicine (eg, celecoxib) or have diabetes
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with glucosamine. However, no specific interactions are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if glucosamine may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use glucosamine:
Use glucosamine as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Dosing depends on the use and the source of the product.
- Use as directed on the package, unless instructed otherwise by your doctor.
- This product may take several weeks to months to work.
- If you miss taking a dose of glucosamine for 1 or more days, there is no cause for concern. If your doctor recommended that you take it, try to remember your dose every day.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use glucosamine.
Important safety information:
- Check with your doctor before you begin taking any new medicine, either prescription or over-the-counter.
- This product has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as safe and effective for any medical condition. The long-term safety of dietary supplements is not known. Before using any alternative medicine, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.
- Diabetes patients - Glucosamine may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- This product is not recommended for use in CHILDREN.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Do not use this product if you are pregnant. Do not breast-feed while you are using this product.
Possible side effects of glucosamine:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; drowsiness; headache; heartburn; nausea; upset stomach; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue).
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of glucosamine:
Store at room temperature away from heat, moisture, and light unless otherwise directed on the package label. Do not store in the bathroom. Most dietary supplements are not in childproof containers. Keep glucosamine out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about glucosamine, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Glucosamine is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take glucosamine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about glucosamine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to glucosamine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using glucosamine.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about chondroitin/glucosamine
- Other brands: Osteo Bi-Flex, Osteo Bi-Flex Triple Strength, Cosamin DS, Schiff Move Free, More (7) »