User Reviews for Humira

Spondyloarthritis 0 reviews 67 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Humira reviews 157 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Humira

Review by Daisysofie123 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Crohn's Disease, Acute: I've had Crohn's Disease since I was 8 years old. I am 52 now. I've had over 15 surgeries related to the disease. Humira has made my life so much better than I can ever remember it being. Not only is the medication great, but between the manufacturer (Abbvie), Connecticare,& Walgreens, they have me on a reduced cost plan which makes it easily affordable .

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2014 10:40 PM

Review by lokiodiin:

For Psoriasis: I have been dealing with psoriasis for over 25 years. I have tried many creams, etc., and I have had some success with Enbrel. 25 years means I have multiple issues (skin, nails, scalp, ears, genitals). I injected Humira three days ago, and I see a difference. Many areas of my skin have gotten clearer. I have read other reviews, but I believe it is like many medicines like this. Some work very well for certain people, but is almost harmful for others. I believe anti-depressants work like this. Some work well for some patients, but others need something different. Regardless, it is a struggle. Good luck to everyone finding something that works, at least somewhat.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 9, 2014 9:21 PM

Review by Zapo:

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: Diagnosed with sero negative rheumatoid arthritis about five years ago. It came on very quickly and pain was awful. Took methotrexate, but was quite ill from side effects. Thought I Achieved remission and stopped methotrexate. Unfortunately, the disease was active and recently had a flare that has lasted for months. Blood work all negative. Rheumatologist ordered an MRI and found bone erosion in the wrists. Started Humira and had relief of symptoms shortly after. Just took second injection. The nurse who instructed me on the shots said to leave it out of refrigerator for 30 minutes, ice the site and inject. I have done both injections in my stomach with no pain. Using the Humira pen. Also iced spot for 5 minutes afterwards

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 2, 2014 9:09 PM

Review by Velta12 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Ankylosing Spondylitis: This is a fantastic medicine. I'm 31 years old and have struggled with back pain since being about 25. Being very tall (6'4) many of the issues were put down to my tallness. When the back pain started affecting my breathing I knew something more that being tall was a play. After a number of differing referrals, I was finally passed to a Rheumatology specialist who spotted my symptoms very quickly and suggested my treatment. It took over a month to get the test results and approvals but when I started treatment the results were within a week for me. Now I have next to no pain and I have no real symptoms. The injections are uncomfortable but for 10 seconds of pain for 2 weeks of being able to move and breathe without being in pain is worth it.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 2:24 PM

Review by T P (taken for less than 1 month):

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2012, at 25. After an allergic reaction to methotrexate, I was put on leflunomide with great success for a short while. Unfortunately for me, my rheumatoid arthritis has affected every joint in my body. Every flare up is different, but everything hurts at some point. I seeked a second opinion and was immediately prescribed Humira. Like many others, I was given the pen. I must say that the suspense leading up to pushing that button is far worse than the 15 or so seconds of pain. I was given a sample fresh from the fridge at my appointment, and it hurt like hell. My nurse shared with me to let it come to room temp. I do my first at-home injection next week. Hoping for great results.

July 30, 2014 9:44 PM

Review by Itchy bryan (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Plaque Psoriasis: Unfortunately Humira did not work for my plaque psoriasis. I have psoriasis on the trunks of my legs, elbows, arms, hands and did not experience any clearing after 5 months.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2014 10:59 PM

Review by dagmastr12:

For Ankylosing Spondylitis: I see some comments about painful injections, I had that too but I wasn't letting the medication warm up after taking it out of the refrigerator, if it warms up it's no problem. I've been on this about 4 months and I'm feeling better every week. It's awesome.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 8:44 AM

Review by Al C:

For Plaque Psoriasis: I've had moderate psoriasis for over 30 yrs also severe pitting and deteriated finger and toe nails, swollen fingers and toes. After 1 yr on Humira I was 95 % clear including my nails. I'm still doing good on Humira after 4 yrs. I'm probably 80 -85% clear and no scalp psoriasis at all which was real bad. I use the pen for injections. I know eventually it will lose it's effect and then I'll move on to something else. But for now it's shorts, tank tops and a crew cut.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2014 11:49 PM

Review by Polkadott (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Psoriatic Arthritis: Since being on Humira, I am a whole new person. It was hard being diagnosed at 29 with a new baby to take care of. I could barely get out of bed, open a jar or change a diaper. I do have headaches often, fatigue and slight mood swings, but worth it. I have my life back.

June 15, 2014 2:25 AM

Review by steve130:

For Psoriatic Arthritis: I have used this for over a year and a half at first it worked fine however now after long term use I have started to have some heart issues. I'm only 53, have had good heart. Last shot I took put me down for 3 days the second day after I was hardly able to walk and had bad heart palpitations along with high fever all of which are side effects. I have appointment coming up and will not take another shot.

May 24, 2014 8:13 PM

Review by Under 50 with RA (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: Humira was my first medicine to try for recently diagnosed rheumatoid arthritis. Had to stop after the 2nd injection due to nausea, lethargy, my teeth hurt and had 3/4 migraines a week. Trying a new medicine now and hope to see results. Humira has a discount program that you only pay $5 for. Ask your doc about it!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2014 4:05 PM

Review by Skippygood grief:

For Psoriatic Arthritis: I fell down quickly when the arthritis part of the psoriasis hit me at 50. I had always had bad nails and I developed psoriasis while taking Alpha Interpheron at 40. At first I took methotrexate 25mg/week by mouth. That was a disaster. I went to sub Q and that worked very well, however, after a year, I began to get sick with the flu or such. It lasted 60 days and I had to get off the methotrexate and nearly wound up in the ICU. From a cold or flu! Got better, then 45 days later, got sick again. Thanks to the ACA, I have insurance and am able to take Humira. It works pretty well on the psoriasis and also works pretty well on the arthritis. But, after several months, my feet are getting sore and my right wrist is weakening.

April 15, 2014 6:16 PM

Review by Bw853 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: Limited improvement after 6 months, developed bad rash and MD refused to continue medication.

March 15, 2014 12:50 AM

Review by Jeannie in DC:

For Psoriatic Arthritis: When I started taking Humira in 2008, I was covered over 80% of my body. Took Humira, and it was at least 8 weeks (if not more) for any improvement on the plaque psoriasis, although I noticed big improvement in arthritis pain and stiffness. Once it cleared, within 2 years it was again widespread. Finally I have been on it regularly for two years in addition to Methotrexate (without it I feel it in my knees and hands). I now only have no more than 5 spots here and there. Very happy with it, and only side effect was 1 time liver function affected, but easily fixed with lesser dose of Methotrexate.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2014 7:20 PM

Review by Creaky man-89 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Psoriatic Arthritis: I have had psoriasis since I was 15 and mild psoriatic arthritis since I was 20, now four years later my psoriasis started to flare up after nearly a three and a half year remission due to treatment and develop in all the old places with it came severe psoriatic arthritis. Over the course of four months I went from moving normally to being in severe nearly constant pain and walking with a cane. I went to my dermatologist to see about any treatments and she prescribed me Humira. The day after the first two pen treatment I was walking with little pain and within a week I didn't need a cane any more. So far the only side effect I have had was a mild headache after the injection. Humira essentially gave me my life back.

March 10, 2014 2:03 AM

Review by PsAth (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Psoriatic Arthritis: I have been on Humira for over 7 years. I first tried Remicade in 2001 and it was a miracle. I have had psoriasis since age 14 and Psoriatic arthritis since 1994 but symptoms of the arthritis since 1989. I was always a runner but gave that up in 1998 until Remicade. Remicade worked great for a few years but eventually your own body builds up antibodies to it and it stops working. I have tried 4 other biologic medicines but always come back to Humira one shot a week. Over the years it has stopped working as well but I notice the difference when I do not take my shot. Still pretty miserable but still able to work full time and take care of my family. The IL 17 inhibitors are coming out soon and they look very promising.

March 7, 2014 12:32 AM

Review by doctorshaps (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: Humira has really been a life saver. I wasn't sure if I was going to see another day in my life without pain and then I was introduced to Humira..it truly is a blessing, I don't have any side effects from the shot at all.

February 24, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by Saltio (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: Severe allergic reaction.

February 11, 2014 9:11 AM

Review by PBNYC (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: I had rheumatoid arthritis onset literally overnight in wrist, and within short period, all fingers, elbows and shoulders. I have negative RF, but elevated Sed Rate. I pushed my Rheumatologist hard to get in front of the disease progression. I was on Methotrexate alone for about 10 wks, increasing dosage from 12.5mg - 17.5mg but it had marginal impact. I pushed for Humira and within 48 hrs after first injection, I noticed improvement. I'm six weeks into combination therapy and I'd say I'm 60-70% improved. Large joints are 90% better but fingers remain stubborn. Yes, the shot hurts for 10 flipping seconds. I let it get to room temp for about 30-40 minutes..speciality pharmacist said that was fine. This medicine is awesome.

February 8, 2014 7:36 PM

Review by GAW:

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: My husband has had a severe case of Chron's since he was 33. He was on and off of Remicade for 7 years. Last January we found out he built up antibodies to the Remicade and it was no longer working properly. Humira has been a God send for him. He loves that he decides when to give himself the shot and he only has side effects for 24 hours compared to 48 or 72 hours after an infusion of Remicade. He has been in remission for a year for the first time in years. We feel very blessed there is a new medicine helping patients with this very difficult disease. He also has learned to eliminate gluten and dairy. As his diet gets better he feels better.

February 3, 2014 3:01 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: I have had Crohn's disease for about a year and a half and Humira has been amazing. I felt relief within one month and was in remission within 9 months. Life is pain free..only side effect is yeast infections every week and feel like I have the flu the week right before due for shot. Shot is painful for 10 seconds, but it is worth it. Remicade is only other option, using it as last resort. Otherwise very satisfied.

January 30, 2014 5:51 PM

Review by Sledge2k (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Ankylosing Spondylitis: Humira is a miracle. Prior to being on Humira I had tried two previous solutions NSAIDs and a non-starch diet with lots of exercise. NSAIDs had absolutely no effect. The non-starch diet with some exercise did help bring the pain to what I would call manageable but flares would still happen and with them would come several day cycle of poor sleep, less exercise, and so on. My rheumatologist explained that some new research suggest Humira may actually help to stop the progression of the disease so I gave it a shot (pun, hah!). It took about 3 weeks to start kicking in and by week 5 my symptoms were totally gone. No back pain. No shoulder pain. No waking up in the middle of the night.

January 29, 2014 10:13 AM

Review by Di Di:

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: Been on this for almost 10 yrs. I now have frequent sinus headaches that are difficult to clear. Am fatigued but able to function well on this medicine, but now have stomach pain and also use methyprednisolone. Also vasculitis has appeared in ankle, and here to stay. I plan to stop and start Sulfalazine EC to take it's place as a DMARD, at least. An old case of psoriasis appeared after my 4th year but left entirely after 3 years. On my feet, and utterly painful.

January 17, 2014 11:32 PM

Review by jakeepton:

For Ankylosing Spondylitis: I am 19 years old and was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) when I was 17. I was prescribed Humira very quickly because my AS caused severe back, hip and ankle pain and have been taking it for over a year now. So far, the medicine has worked very well and I feel no pain whatsoever. The medicine does make me feel tired, but this is a genuine side effect.

January 10, 2014 6:29 AM

Review by Mandy 1985 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: For ankylosing spondylitis and Rheumatoid arthritis. I am 28 years old and today was my first dose. They did two in one and after 15 minutes I felt an ease in pain and stiffness but probably won't feel the full effect for a couple a days. So far so good. You have to work with medication. It's a 50/50 type of deal.

December 23, 2013 12:17 PM