Zone-A Forte Side Effects
Generic name: hydrocortisone / pramoxine topical
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jul 11, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about hydrocortisone / pramoxine topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Zone-A Forte.
For the Consumer
Applies to hydrocortisone/pramoxine topical: external cream, external foam, rectal kit
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of a weak adrenal gland like a very bad upset stomach or throwing up, very bad dizziness or passing out, muscle weakness, feeling very tired, mood changes, not hungry, or weight loss.
- Signs of Cushing's disease like weight gain in the upper back or belly, moon face, very bad headache, or slow healing.
- Signs of high blood sugar like confusion, feeling sleepy, more thirst, more hungry, passing urine more often, flushing, fast breathing, or breath that smells like fruit.
- Irritation where this drug is used.
- Very bad bleeding from rectum or rectal pain.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Dry skin.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Frequency not reported: Burning, itching, irritation, dryness, folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acneiform eruptions, hypopigmentation, perioral dermatitis, allergic contact dermatitis, maceration of the skin, secondary infection, skin atrophy, striae, miliaria[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Blurred vision[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Affective disorders (e.g. irritable, euphoric, depressed, labile mood, suicidal thoughts), psychotic reactions (e.g. mania, delusions, hallucinations, aggravation of schizophrenia), behavioral disturbances, irritability, anxiety, sleep disturbances, cognitive dysfunction (including confusion and amnesia)[Ref]
More about Zone-A Forte (hydrocortisone / pramoxine topical)
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Proctofoam HC (hydrocortisone-pramoxine topical)." Meda Pharmaceuticals (2005):
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.