Sotradecol Side Effects
Generic name: sodium tetradecyl sulfate
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 5, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about sodium tetradecyl sulfate. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Sotradecol.
Applies to sodium tetradecyl sulfate: intravenous solution.
Serious side effects of Sotradecol
Along with its needed effects, sodium tetradecyl sulfate (the active ingredient contained in Sotradecol) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor or nurse immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking sodium tetradecyl sulfate:
Incidence not known
- blue-green to black skin discoloration
- blurred vision
- chest pain or discomfort
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- fast heartbeat
- hives, itching, skin rash
- inability to speak
- noisy breathing
- pain or discomfort in the arms, jaw, back, or neck
- pain, itching, redness, peeling, or cracking of the skin at the injection site
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- raised red swellings on the skin, lips, tongue, or in the throat
- severe or sudden headache
- slurred speech
- temporary blindness
- tightness in the chest
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- weakness in the arm or leg on one side of the body, sudden and severe
Other side effects of Sotradecol
Some side effects of sodium tetradecyl sulfate may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Incidence not known
- permanent discoloration of the injected vein
- red, itchy, or watery eyes
- runny or stuffy nose
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to sodium tetradecyl sulfate: injectable solution.
Four cases of anaphylactic shock leading to death have been reported in patients receiving sodium tetradecyl sulfate (the active ingredient contained in Sotradecol) Of these four patients, one had a history of asthma.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity side effects have included hives, asthma, hayfever, and anaphylactic shock.[Ref]
General side effects have included headache.[Ref]
More about Sotradecol (sodium tetradecyl sulfate)
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (3)
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: sclerosing agents
- En español
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Sotradecol (sodium tetradecyl sulfate)." Bioniche Pharma (Canada) Ltd (2006):
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.