Selenium Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 24, 2023.
Applies to selenium: oral capsule, oral tablet.
Serious side effects of Selenium
Along with its needed effects, selenium may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking selenium:
Symptoms of overdose
- fingernail weakening
- garlic odor of breath and sweat
- hair loss
- itching of skin
- nausea and vomiting
- unusual tiredness and weakness
Frequently asked questions
- What foods are high in selenium and what are the health benefits?
- What are antioxidants and should you take supplements?
More about selenium
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (5)
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes
- En español
- Selenium drug information
- Selenium Capsules and Tablets
- Selenium Injection Solution
- Selenium Oral Drops
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.