RabAvert Side Effects
Generic name: rabies vaccine, purified chick embryo cell
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 1, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about rabies vaccine, purified chick embryo cell. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name RabAvert.
Applies to rabies vaccine, purified chick embryo cell: intramuscular injectable, intramuscular suspension reconstituted.
Serious side effects of RabAvert
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of meningitis like headache with fever, stiff neck, upset stomach, confusion, or if lights bother the eyes.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Not able to move face muscles as much.
- Muscle weakness.
- Not able to move.
- Change in eyesight.
- Swollen gland.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- A burning, numbness, or tingling feeling that is not normal.
- Trouble controlling body movements.
Other side effects of RabAvert
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Pain, redness, or swelling where the shot was given.
- Flu-like signs. These include headache, weakness, fever, shakes, aches, pains, and sweating.
- Upset stomach.
- Muscle or joint pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to rabies vaccine, purified chick embryo cell: intramuscular powder for injection.
Rare (less than 0.1%): Allergic reactions
Very common (10% or more): Headache (52%), dizziness (15%)
Frequency not reported: Transient paresthesias
Postmarketing reports: Neuroparalysis, encephalitis, meningitis, transient paralysis, Guillain-Barre Syndrome, myelitis, retrobulbar neuritis, multiple sclerosis, presyncope, syncope, vertigo, visual disturbance[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Pain at the injection site (84%)
Postmarketing reports: Extensive limb swelling[Ref]
Rare (less than 0.1%): Sweating
Frequency not reported: Urticaria pigmentosa
Very common (10% or more): Myalgia (53%)
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Pain in limbs
Rare (less than 0.1%): Chills, monoarthritis[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Malaise (15%)
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Temperature above 38C (100F)
Rare (less than 0.1%): Fatigue, circulatory reactions
Very common (10% or more): Lymphadenopathy (15%)
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Swollen lymph nodes[Ref]
Postmarketing reports: Bronchospasm[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Gastrointestinal complaints[Ref]
More about RabAvert (rabies vaccine, purified chick embryo cell)
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (1)
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: viral vaccines
- En español
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. RabAvert (rabies vaccine, purified chick embryo cell)." Chiron Corporation (2006):
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.