Methicillin Side Effects
Applies to methicillin: injectable powder for injection
Adverse hematologic effects occur in approximately 7% of treated patients and appear to be associated with higher doses given for long periods of time. Recovery generally occurs within one to two weeks.[Ref]
Hypersensitivity reactions to methicillin include rash (2% to 6%), eosinophilia (up to 38%), pruritus, fever, chills, and myalgias. Methicillin is contraindicated in patients who are allergic to penicillin.[Ref]
Acute renal failure and interstitial nephritis have been associated with methicillin therapy. These problems occur most frequently after prolonged therapy (longer than ten days). Acute interstitial nephritis may be accompanied by rash, fever, dysuria, proteinuria, eosinophilia, and hematuria.[Ref]
The frequency of acute interstitial nephritis is higher with methicillin than other penicillinase-resistant penicillins and has been reported in up to 17% of patients. Acute renal failure generally occurs after ten days and with doses of methicillin greater than 200 mg/kg/day. Renal function slowly returns towards normal after discontinuation of methicillin, but irreversible decreases in renal function have been observed.[Ref]
1. Godin M, Deshayes P, Ducastelle T, Delpech A, Leloet X, Fillastre JP "Agranulocytosis, haemorrhagic cystitis and acute interstitial nephritis during methicillin therapy." J Antimicrob Chemother 6 (1980): 296-7
2. "Product Information. Staphcillin (methicillin)." Apothecon Inc, Plainsboro, NJ.
3. Mayaud C, Kanfer A, Kourilsky O, Sraer JD "Interstitial nephritis after methicillin." N Engl J Med 292 (1975): 1132-3
4. Mignon F, Mery JP, Mougenot B, Ronco P, Roland J, Morel-Maroger L "Granulomatous interstitial nephritis." Adv Nephrol Necker Hosp 13 (1984): 219-45
5. Linton AL, Clark WF, Driedger AA, Turnbull DI, Lindsay RM "Acute interstitial nephritis due to drugs." Ann Intern Med 93 (1980): 735-41
Some side effects of methicillin may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about methicillin
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.