Isodettes Side Effects
Generic Name: benzocaine topical
Note: This document contains side effect information about benzocaine topical. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Isodettes.
For the Consumer
Applies to benzocaine topical: cream, film, gel/jelly, gum, liquid, lotion, lozenge/troche, ointment, paste, powder for suspension, solution, spray, swab, tablet disintegrating
Other dosage forms:
Along with its needed effects, benzocaine topical (the active ingredient contained in Isodettes) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking benzocaine topical:Incidence not known
- high fever
- worsening of pain, redness, swelling, or irritation in or around the mouth
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to benzocaine topical: compounding powder, mucous membrane gel, mucous membrane liquid, mucous membrane lozenge, mucous membrane paste, mucous membrane powder for reconstitution, mucous membrane spray, mucous membrane swab, mucous membrane tablet disintegrating, rectal ointment, rectal suppository, topical cream, topical gel, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical ointment, topical spray, topical stick, topical swab
Dermatologic side effects have included contact dermatitis and urticaria.[Ref]
Local side effects have included burning and stinging.[Ref]
Other side effects have included edema.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects have included angioedema.
Hematologic side effects have included methemoglobinemia. FDA continues to receive reports of methemoglobinemia from postmarketing reporting.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Hurricaine (benzocaine topical)." Beutlich, Waukegan, IL.
2. "Product Information. Vagisil Feminine Cream (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc, White Plains, NY.
3. "Product Information. Americaine Hemorrhoidal (benzocaine topical)." Novartis Consumer Health, Parsippany, NJ.
4. "Product Information. Lanacane (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc, White Plains, NY.
5. "Product Information. Cepacol Lozenges (cetylpyridinium topical)." GlaxoSmithKline Inc, Oakville, IA.
6. "Product Information. Dermoplast (benzocaine topical)." MedTech Inc, Irvington, NY.
7. "Product Information. Lanacane with Aloe (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc, White Plains, NY.
8. "Product Information. Chloraseptic (benzocaine topical)." Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals, Mason, OH.
9. "Product Information. Solarcaine Plus Aloe (benzocaine topical)." Schering-Plough Healthcare Products, Memphis, TN.
10. "Product Information. Outgro Pain Relief (benzocaine topical)." MedTech Inc, Irvington, NY.
11. Throm MJ, Stevens MD, Hansen C "Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia in two patients: interdisciplinary collaboration, management, and near misses." Pharmacotherapy 27 (2007): 1206-14
Some side effects of Isodettes may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
More about Isodettes (benzocaine topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical anesthetics
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.