Conestat alfa Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 3, 2020.
For the Consumer
Applies to conestat alfa: intravenous solution reconstituted
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Change in color of mouth to blue.
- A fast heartbeat.
- Call your doctor right away if you have signs of a blood clot like chest pain or pressure; coughing up blood; shortness of breath; swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm; or trouble speaking or swallowing.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to conestat alfa: intravenous powder for injection
Very common (10% or more): Headache (up to 10%)
Common (1% to 10%): Vertigo, procedural headache
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Paresthesia[Ref]
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Urticaria
Postmarketing reports: Rash[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Nausea, diarrhea
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Abdominal discomfort, oral paresthesia
Common (1% to 10%): Sneezing
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Throat irritation[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Fibrin D-dimer increased[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): C-reactive protein increased[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Lipoma
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Swelling[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Ruconest (conestat alfa)." Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Costa Mesa, CA.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
More about conestat alfa
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: hereditary angioedema agents
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.