How do I use Olux-E foam on my scalp?
To use Olux (clobetasol propionate 0.05%) Foam for scalp psoriasis, apply a thin layer of the foam to the affected scalp area 2 times each day and rub in gently. Wash your hands after use. Do not cover or wrap the treated area unless your doctor directs you to do this. Contact your doctor if your scalp condition does not improve in 2 weeks or less.
The Olux Foam product is specifically approved and formulated to be used for plaque psoriasis on the scalp. Olux-E Foam is not approved for the scalp specifically, but can be used to treat swelling and itching of general skin conditions that respond to topical corticosteroids (for example: psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, and eczema). Both Olux and Olux-E foam contain topical clobetasol propionate 0.05%.
Only use Olux Foam exactly as your healthcare provider tells you to use it.
- To treat the scalp, move any hair away so that the foam can be applied directly to the affected areas.
- Apply a thin layer of Olux Foam to the affected area 2 times each day, 1 time in the morning and 1 time at night, or as directed by your healthcare provider. Gently rub the foam into the affected area until the foam disappears.
- Do not bandage, wrap or cover your treated area unless your healthcare provider tells you to.
- Do not use more than 50 grams per week or more than 21 capfuls per week. Do not use it for longer than 2 weeks in a row.
- Talk to your healthcare provider if your skin or scalp does not improve after 2 weeks of treatment with Olux Foam.
- Thoroughly wash your hands after using Olux Foam.
Avoid using Olux on your face, underarms, groin area, or in areas with thinning skin (atrophy). Do not get these products in your eyes, mouth, or vagina; if contact happens, rinse well with water. Do not use it in a diaper area.
For more information, see the illustrated “Instructions for Use” about the right way to apply Olux or Olux-E Foam.
The Olux formulation of clobetasol propionate is specifically approved and formulated to be used for moderate-to-severe scalp psoriasis.
- Apply Olux Foam the affected area twice a day (usually morning and evening) and rub in gently.
- To apply to the scalp, move your hair away before applying.
- Do not bandage or wrap the area unless your doctor told you to do this. Do not use more than 50 grams (21 capfuls) per per week.
Do not use Olux for longer than 2 weeks in a row. Talk to your healthcare provider if your skin or scalp does not improve after 2 weeks of treatment with Olux Foam.
This is not all the information you need to know about Olux Foam (clobetasol propionate 0.05%) for safe and effective use. Review the full Olux product information and discuss this information and any questions you have with your doctor or other health care provider.
- Olux Foam (clobetasol propionate 0.05%). Mylan Pharmaceuticals. Morgantown, WV. Accessed Dec. 2, 2020 at https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2018/021142s022lbl.pdf
- Olux-E Foam (clobetasol propionate 0.05%). Mylan Pharmaceuticals. Morgantown, WV. Accessed Dec. 2, 2020 https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2018/022013s013lbl.pdf
Related Medical Questions
- Does Olux foam cause hair loss?
- Does clobetasol cause hair loss or growth?
- How do you apply clobetasol propionate for lichen sclerosus?
- How effective is clobetasol for hair growth?
- How long does it take for clobetasol propionate to work?
- What is clobetasol propionate cream used for?
- Halobetasol vs. clobetasol - how do they compare?
- How do you use clobetasol propionate on your scalp?
- What causes Plaque Psoriasis?
- Can you use clobetasol on your face?
- Clobetasol vs. triamcinolone - how do they compare?
- Can clobetasol make you gain weight?
- How long does clobetasol stay in your system?
- Can clobetasol be used for toenail fungus?
- Can clobetasol propionate be used for poison ivy?