Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Diethyl phthalate (C12H14O4), or DEP is a diethyl ester of phthalic acid. DEP is used as a plasticizer in consumer goods, including plastic packaging films, cosmetics, solvent for fragrances, a surface lubricant in food and pharmaceutical packaging, and in tubing used for medical purposes. It is a colorless, oily liquid.
There are concerns about the toxicity of phthalates in consumer products and the environment. Exposure to DEP can occur through inhalation, ingestion, eye or skin contact. Some studies suggest little toxicity, but other research has identified reproductive toxicity in animal studies.
According to a document published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for occupational safety, diethyl phthalate has irritant effects on the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes and can lead to central nervous system (CNS) effects in exposed workers. CNS effects only occurred in exposed workers after 6 to 7 years of chronic exposure to phthalates.
 Chemical Information Profile for Diethyl Phthalate. National Toxicology Program National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences National Institutes of Health U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Research Triangle Park, NCNIH. http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/chem_background/exsumpdf/diethyl_phthalate.pdf
 Autian J. Toxicity and health threats of phthalate esters: review of the literature. Environmental Health Perspectives 1973. 4: 3–25. Accessed March 31, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474854/pdf/envhper00501-0008.pdf
Top Medications with this excipient
- Amrix 15 mg ()
- Carbamazepine (Chewable) 100 mg ()
- Carbamazepine Extended-Release 400 mg ()
- Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride Extended Release 30 mg ()
- Didanosine Delayed Release 200 mg ()
- Didanosine Delayed Release 400 mg ()
- Diltiazem Hydrochloride Extended-Release (SR) 60 mg ()
- Divalproex Sodium Delayed Release 125 mg ()
- Embeda morphine 20 mg / naltrexone 0.8 mg ()
- Embeda morphine 60 mg / naltrexone 2.4 mg ()
- Galantamine Hydrobromide Extended Release 24 mg ()
- Isosorbide Mononitrate Extended Release 60 mg ()
- Kadian 150 mg ()
- Lamotrigine Extended-Release 300 mg ()
- Morphine Sulfate Extended Release 80 mg ()
- Propranolol Hydrochloride Extended-Release 120 mg ()
- Razadyne ER 24 mg ()
- Ropinirole Hydrochloride Extended-Release 6 mg ()
- Verapamil Hydrochloride Extended-Release 180 mg ()
- Videx EC 250 mg ()