Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Diethyl phthalate (C12H14O4), or DEP is a diethyl ester of phthalic acid. DEP is used as a plasticizer in consumer goods, including plastic packaging films, cosmetics, solvent for fragrances, a surface lubricant in food and pharmaceutical packaging, and in tubing used for medical purposes. It is a colorless, oily liquid.
There are concerns about the toxicity of phthalates in consumer products and the environment. Exposure to DEP can occur through inhalation, ingestion, eye or skin contact. Some studies suggest little toxicity, but other research has identified reproductive toxicity in animal studies.
According to a document published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for occupational safety, diethyl phthalate has irritant effects on the eyes, skin, and mucous membranes and can lead to central nervous system (CNS) effects in exposed workers. CNS effects only occurred in exposed workers after 6 to 7 years of chronic exposure to phthalates.
 Chemical Information Profile for Diethyl Phthalate. National Toxicology Program National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences National Institutes of Health U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Research Triangle Park, NCNIH. http://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/htdocs/chem_background/exsumpdf/diethyl_phthalate.pdf
 Autian J. Toxicity and health threats of phthalate esters: review of the literature. Environmental Health Perspectives 1973. 4: 3–25. Accessed March 31, 2012. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474854/pdf/envhper00501-0008.pdf
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Carbamazepine (Chewable) 100 mg
- Cardizem CD 360 mg
- Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride Extended Release 15 mg
- Didanosine Delayed Release 125 mg
- Diltiazem Hydrochloride Extended-Release (SR) 120 mg
- Divalproex Sodium Delayed Release 125 mg
- Embeda morphine 100 mg / naltrexone 4 mg
- Embeda morphine 20 mg / naltrexone 0.8 mg
- Galantamine Hydrobromide Extended Release 16 mg
- Isosorbide Mononitrate Extended Release 30 mg
- Kadian 40 mg
- Lamotrigine Extended-Release 300 mg
- Morphine Sulfate Extended Release 100 mg
- Propranolol Hydrochloride Extended-Release 160 mg
- Ranitidine Hydrochloride 300 mg
- Ranitidine Hydrochloride 150 mg
- Razadyne ER 16 mg
- Ropinirole Hydrochloride Extended-Release 8mg
- Sulfasalazine 500 mg
- Videx EC 200 MG