Excipient (pharmacologically inactive substance)
What is it?
Alpha-tocopherol, also known as vitamin E1, is one of several forms of vitamin E. It appears as a light yellow, viscous, odorless, oily liquid that deteriorates on exposure to light. Alpha-tocopherol is obtained from wheat germ oil or by synthesis, biologically exhibits the most vitamin E activity of the α-tocopherols, and is an antioxidant retarding rancidity by interfering with the autoxidation of fats.
Vitamin E is found in foods such as vegetable oils and shortening, meat, eggs, milk, and leafy vegetables. Vitamin E is important for many processes in the body.
Vitamin E is used to treat Vitamin E deficiency. It is available as a liquid and as liquid-filled capsules. Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin and can be toxic to the liver if it is taken in too high a dose.
Top Medications with this excipient
- Alka-Seltzer Fruit Chews (Antacid) calcium carbonate 750 mg (Bayer HealthCare LLC, Consumer Care)
- Animi-3 with Vitamin D (PBM Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Claravis 30 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals)
- K-Tab 10 mEq (750 mg) (Abbott Laboratories)
- Lo Loestrin Fe ethinyl estradiol 0.01 mg / norethindrone 1 mg (Warner Chilcott Laboratories)
- Lovaza omega-3-acid ethyl esters 1000 mg (Physicians Total Care)
- Lovaza omega-3-acid ethyl esters 1000 mg (GlaxoSmithKline)
- Midol 200 mg (Bayer HealthCare LLC - Consumer Care)
- Myorisan 20 mg (VersaPharm Incorporated)
- Myorisan 10 mg (VersaPharm Incorporated)
- Myorisan 40 mg (VersaPharm Incorporated)
- Nucynta ER 100 mg (Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Nucynta ER 50 mg (Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Nucynta ER 150 mg (Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Opana ER 10 mg (Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Opana ER 20 mg (Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Opana ER 40 mg (Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc.)
- Pre Natal Vitamins Plus prenatal multivitamins with ferrous fumarate 27 mg and folic acid 1 mg (Boca Pharmacal, Inc.)
- Prenatal Plus Prenatal Vitamin with Iron Fumarate (Akyma Pharmaceuticals)
- Tretinoin 10 mg (Teva Pharmaceuticals USA)