Generic name: Tretinoin 0.5mg in 1g
Dosage form: cream
Medically reviewed on July 31, 2017.
- Do NOT use Refissa [Tretinoin Cream, USP (Emollient) 0.05%] if the patient is pregnant or is attempting to become pregnant or is at high risk of pregnancy
- Do NOT use Refissa if the patient is sunburned or if the patient has eczema or other chronic skin condition(s)
- Do NOT use Refissa if the patient is inherently sensitive to sunlight
- Do NOT use Refissa if the patient is also taking drugs known to be photosensitizers (e.g., thiazides, tetracyclines, fluoroquinolones, phenothiazines, sulfonamides) because of the possibility of augmented phototoxicity.
Patients require detailed instruction to obtain maximal benefits and to understand all the precautions necessary to use this product with greatest safety. The physician should review the Patient Package Insert.
Refissa should be applied to the face once a day before retiring, using only enough to cover the entire affected area lightly. Patients should gently wash their faces with a mild soap, pat the skin dry, and wait 20 to 30 minutes before applying Refissa. The patient should apply a pea-sized amount of cream to cover the entire face lightly. Special caution should be taken when applying the cream to avoid the eyes, ears, nostrils, and mouth.
Application of Refissa [Tretinoin Cream, USP (Emollient) 0.05%] may cause a transitory feeling of warmth or slight stinging.
Mitigation (palliation) of facial fine wrinkling, mottled hyperpigmentation, and tactile roughness may occur gradually over the course of therapy. Up to six months of therapy may be required before the effects are seen. Most of the improvement noted with Refissa is seen during the first 24 weeks of therapy. Thereafter, therapy primarily maintains the improvement realized during the first 24 weeks.
With disconuation of Refissa therapy, a majority of patients will lose most mitigating effects of Refissa on fine wrinkles, mottled hyperpigmentation, and tactile roughness of facial skin; however, the safety and effectiveness of using Refissa daily for greater than 48 weeks have not been established.
Application of larger amounts of medication than recommended may not lead to more rapid results or better results, and marked redness, peeling, or discomfort may occur.
Patients treated with Refissa may use cosmetics, but the areas to be treated should be cleansed thoroughly before the medication is applied. (See PRECAUTIONS section.)
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Refissa (tretinoin topical)
- Refissa Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews
- Drug class: topical acne agents