Nix Shampoo Dosage
Generic name: Permethrin 560mg in 59mL
Dosage form: shampoo
The information at Drugs.com is not a substitute for medical advice. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist.
- all household members should be checked by another person for lice and/or nits (eggs)
- use a magnifying glass in bright light to help you see the lice and nits (eggs)
- use a tool, such as a comb or two unsharpened pencils to lift and part the hair
- look for tiny nits near the scalp, beginning at the back of the neck and behind the ears
- small sections of hair (1-2 inches wide) should be examined at a time
- unlike dandruff, nits stick to the hair. Dandruff should move when lightly touched.
- if either lice or nits (eggs) are found, treat with Nix Creme Rinse
- wash hair with a shampoo without conditioner. Do not use a shampoo that contains a conditioner or a conditioner alone since this may decrease the activity of Nix. Rinse with water.
- towel dry hair so it is damp but not wet
- shake the bottle of Nix well
- completely saturate the hair and scalp with Nix. Begin to apply Nix behind the ears and at the back of the neck.
- keep Nix out of the eyes. Protect the eyes with a washcloth or towel.
- leave Nix on the hair for 10 minutes, but no longer
- rinse with warm water
- towel dry hair and comb out tangles
- if live lice are seen seven days or more after the first treatment, a second treatment should be given
- remove nits by combing the hair with the special small tooth comb provided. Remaining nits may be removed by hand (using a throw-away glove), or cutting the nits out.
- use the nit comb provided and make sure the hair remains slightly damp while removing nits
- if the hair dries during combing, dampen it slightly with water
- part the hair into 4 sections. Work on one section at a time. Longer hair may take more time (1-2 hours).
- start at the top of the head on the section you have picked
- with one hand, lift a 1-2 inch wide strand of hair. Get the teeth of the comb as close to the scalp as possible and comb with a firm, even motion away from the scalp to the end of the hair.
- use clips to pin back each strand of hair after you have combed out the nits
- clean the comb completely as you go. Wipe the nits from the comb with a tissue and throw away the tissue in a sealed plastic bag to prevent the lice from coming back.
- after combing, recheck the entire head for nits and repeat combing if necessary
- check the affected head daily to remove any nits that you might have missed
More about Nix (permethrin topical)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical anti-infectives