Nix Shampoo Dosage
Generic name: Permethrin 560mg in 59mL
Dosage form: shampoo
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jun 12, 2020.
- all household members should be checked by another person for lice and/or nits (eggs)
- use a magnifying glass in bright light to help you see the lice and nits (eggs)
- use a tool, such as a comb or two unsharpened pencils to lift and part the hair
- look for tiny nits near the scalp, beginning at the back of the neck and behind the ears
- small sections of hair (1-2 inches wide) should be examined at a time
- unlike dandruff, nits stick to the hair. Dandruff should move when lightly touched.
- if either lice or nits (eggs) are found, treat with Nix Creme Rinse
- wash hair with a shampoo without conditioner. Do not use a shampoo that contains a conditioner or a conditioner alone since this may decrease the activity of Nix. Rinse with water.
- towel dry hair so it is damp but not wet
- shake the bottle of Nix well
- completely saturate the hair and scalp with Nix. Begin to apply Nix behind the ears and at the back of the neck.
- keep Nix out of the eyes. Protect the eyes with a washcloth or towel.
- leave Nix on the hair for 10 minutes, but no longer
- rinse with warm water
- towel dry hair and comb out tangles
- if live lice are seen seven days or more after the first treatment, a second treatment should be given
- remove nits by combing the hair with the special small tooth comb provided. Remaining nits may be removed by hand (using a throw-away glove), or cutting the nits out.
- use the nit comb provided and make sure the hair remains slightly damp while removing nits
- if the hair dries during combing, dampen it slightly with water
- part the hair into 4 sections. Work on one section at a time. Longer hair may take more time (1-2 hours).
- start at the top of the head on the section you have picked
- with one hand, lift a 1-2 inch wide strand of hair. Get the teeth of the comb as close to the scalp as possible and comb with a firm, even motion away from the scalp to the end of the hair.
- use clips to pin back each strand of hair after you have combed out the nits
- clean the comb completely as you go. Wipe the nits from the comb with a tissue and throw away the tissue in a sealed plastic bag to prevent the lice from coming back.
- after combing, recheck the entire head for nits and repeat combing if necessary
- check the affected head daily to remove any nits that you might have missed
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Nix (permethrin topical)
- Nix Dermal Cream Topical (Advanced Reading)
- Nix Lice Killing Creme Rinse Topical (Advanced Reading)
- Nix Topical (Advanced Reading)