Albuminex Injection Dosage
Generic name: Albumin Human 0.05g in 1mL
Dosage form: injection
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 31, 2018.
For intravenous administration only.
The concentration of ALBUMINEX 5% used, its dosage, and infusion rate should be adjusted to the patient's individual requirements and clinical indication.
Adults: Initial dose of 25 g.
If hemodynamic stability is not achieved within 15 to 30 minutes, an additional dose may be given.
For acute liver failure: initial dose of 12 to 25 g. An infusion rate of 1-2 mL per minute is usually indicated.
For renal dialysis; the initial dose should not exceed 25 g and patients should be carefully observed for signs of fluid overload.
|Prevention of central volume depletion after paracentesis due to cirrhotic ascites||Adults: 8 g for every 1000 mL of ascitic fluid removed.|
|Hypoalbuminemia including from burns||Adults: 50 to 75 g
For pre- and post-operative hypoproteinemia: 50 to 75 g.
In burns, therapy usually starts with administration of large volumes of crystalloid solution to maintain plasma volume. After 24 hours: initial dose of 25 g and dose adjustment to maintain plasma protein concentration of 2.5 g per 100 mL or a serum protein concentration of 5.2 g per 100 mL.
Third space protein loss due to infection or burns: initial dose of 50 to 100 g. An infusion rate of 1-2 mL per minute is usually indicated in the absence of shock.
Treatment should always be guided by hemodynamic response.
|Acute nephrosis||Adults: 25 g together with diuretic once a day for 7-10 days|
|Adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)||Adults: 25 g over 30 minutes and repeated at 8 hours for 3 days, if necessary.|
|Cardiopulmonary bypass procedures||Adults: Initial dose of 25 g. Additional amounts may be administered as clinically indicated.|
- Visually inspect the solution for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration, whenever solution and container permit.
- Do not use if there are any particulates seen or if the solution is discolored.
- If a large volume is infused, ensure that the vial is at room temperature before infusion.
- Do not dilute with Sterile Water for Injection as hemolysis may occur. ALBUMINEX 5% may be diluted with 0.9% saline or 5% dextrose.
- Begin the infusion within 4 hours of piercing the vial stopper (the product does not contain any preservative).
- Adjust the rate of infusion according to the individual patient's hemodynamic and other physiological responses, using appropriate clinical monitoring.