User Reviews for Spinosad topical to treat Head Lice

Also known as: Natroba

Spinosad topical has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 10 ratings for the treatment of Head Lice. 70% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 20% reported a negative effect.

Spinosad topical Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 32 medications used in the treatment of Head Lice.

Reviews for Spinosad topical

Anonymous January 31, 2012

Natroba (spinosad): “Natroba killed the live lice and also the eggs in my child's hair. Only one treatment was necessary. I highly recommend this product and willl use it again in the future as it works quickly and is very effective. The only issue is that the egg casings are left in the hair. We have an issue with the school sending notes home stating my child has nits, when in fact, there are no viable nits in her hair.”

Relieved Mom! · Taken for less than 1 month June 17, 2016

Natroba (spinosad): “After the OTC medications did not work on my daughter AT ALL, we finally went to the doctor. He suggested two "no nit-combing" medications, Natroba and Sklice. The reason I didn't take her to the doctor in the first place was because I care very much about the safety of chemicals I put on my little girl's skin, so unapologetically, I put this doc to the test with 101 questions about the two. Fortunately, he seemed very knowledgeable about them both (as he should) and I learned that Natroba is the ONLY prescription out there that is not systemically absorbed in the skin and is safe for mothers who may be pregnant applying the product (which I was at the time) so this was huge to me. I went with Natroba and will never use anything else.”

Mother of 2 June 29, 2018

Natroba (spinosad): “My daughter got lice from school in 2017. I was already familiar with head lice and treatments since my mother was a school nurse. Fortunately, I didn’t panic and run to the store for the OTC products. I started researching online and ran across Natroba. It sounded to good to be true, but it’s not. Called the doctor and even better news, it’s available in generic (Spinosad). $10 with our insurance, cheaper than the OTC drugs. One treatment and gone! I did pick out the nits, I just wanted too, but you don’t have too. It kills BOTH live bugs and the eggs. She got lice again in 2018 during summer break at gymnastics camp. Treated with Spinosad but didn’t pick them out this time, I caught it early and there wasn’t that many anyway. Still worked! I love this medicine, it works like it says. I’m very careful to wash and vacuum EVERYTHING continually until we are sure it worked (about 7 days) but both times we didn’t have any problems.”

Not impressed · Taken for less than 1 month April 20, 2020

Natroba (spinosad): “About 4 months ago, I contracted head lice from my toddler granddaughter who was infested by a school-aged girl at daycare. I have managed to avoid contracting lice all of my life until now. The OTC meds did not work so my doctor prescribed Natroba. I paid $240 out of pocket after my insurance coverage and I could still feel lice moving around. In fact, I think the treatment made the lice angry. When I told the doctor about my experience she said that she was not surprised that some lice may be Natroba resistant. (She did verify that I applied it correctly.) I told her that I should have been made aware of that possibility before I spent $240 on it. I felt swindled. So far, I have not been completely clear of the lice but they are now greatly reduced and almost gone by using tea tree oil and extensive combing. No thanks to Natroba.”

mnm0 July 17, 2014

Natroba (spinosad): “My daughter had lice for almost a year. I used every OTC medicine numerous times and did every removal step but she still had them. My last option was cutting off all her hair like a boy. Used Natroba once and done. It is such a relief to us both (especially since we didn't have to cut off her hair). Only negative is the price.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2017

“I tried every natural remedies, but once we read about spinosad, we asked the dr. to prescribe this RX. One washing eliminated all the nits and lice. Recommended it to the elementary school nurse. This worked perfect for our family.”

Bytesize · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2018

“Used OTC treatments and nothing worked. Washed all the bedding and blankets, pillows and stuffed animals. The lice still returned to both my daughters heads. After going to the Dr, she prescribed spinosad. She gave us a refill to re-treat in 7 days. I didn't see any eggs or lice but I did re - treat today just to be on the safe side. So far I'm extremely pleased with this product.”

Crazed with Midwest resistant April 28, 2018

“Just put Spinosad on my hair yesterday. I had have brief relief with other products. I have had lice for a year. If this doesn't cure it I am going to shave my head. This could drive someone insane.”

Going crazy · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2019

“I don't understand why this didn't work for me, I still felt lice the next day.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2018

“This is a life saver. I have five kids and when one will get it, all of them do. The over the counter stuff does not work, nor do I have time to pick through 5 kids hair to remove tiny nits.”

lil_bit21 · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2016

“This medication is a God send. The only thing Is the price. I have to do prior authorizations at work for this medication and I know how much it cost for a self pay individual.”

Learn more about Head Lice