User Reviews for Sodium polystyrene sulfonate

Also known as: Kionex Kalexate

Hyperkalemia
7.8

patientx · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2020

For Hyperkalemia: “Severe stomach issues began almost immediately after I started sodium polystyrene sulfonate and have been ongoing about two weeks now. It helps with reducing potassium, but look out, the stomach side effects are well-documented, wish I had read up on them before taking this... lokelma seems safer, the literature says, the pharmacies around me did not stock it, so I tried polystyrene rather than wait 5 days... regret that now...”

CandyGirl · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 31, 2020

Kionex (sodium polystyrene sulfonate) for Hyperkalemia: “I've never heard of ”high potassium” or Hyperkalemia as this condition is called! I felt increasing bad for several months with having sudden loss of motor skills such as catching myself before falling, my entire body was ”wet” with perspiration and clammy even if I was laying down. I kept pushing myself through it and doing what mothers do; until I had zero ability to move anything but my neck after laying down to recoup myself. After an ambulance, a triage of doctors, blood tests to find out why I was completely coherent but had no motor capabilities they found my blood potassium at 9.2! I know now I was as near to a heart attack, kidney failure, and/or dialysis as nobody expected especially me! This potassium medication has literally saved my life and there isn't a real reason why I need this medication. It’s a matter of life & death that I take it exactly as prescribed with bloodwork frequently! There isn't an alternative to this type of drug-like it or not.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2019

For Hyperkalemia: “On sodium polystyrene for my hyperkalemia and I FEEL GOOD !”

GailS Med February 18, 2018

Kionex (sodium polystyrene sulfonate) for Hyperkalemia: “Had extremely high potassium, I have CKD Stage 4, the Doctor had blood drawn, called in this prescription. I was a bit hesitant to take it because of all the "side effects". I then decided to take because I was feeling really bad, heart was palpitating, nausea, nose bleeding. The morning after the 1st dose I felt much better, no "trots" to the bathroom, the next morning after taking this medication I felt WONDERFUL!!!! I have not felt this good in over a year. To anyone who has high potassium, and needs to get it down, TAKE THIS MED, IT IS A LIFESAVER!”

kimiko March 30, 2016

Kionex (sodium polystyrene sulfonate) for Hyperkalemia: “It was either a dose of Kionex oral Susp, or a trip to ER. The medication was a little chalk like but The flavor of raspberry quickly redeemed the quality of the product. Take it as directed from your physician. Important information such as your Potassium levels are important and if it is your first time can be scary. Know by research..... learn what you can do first..... it is a matter of life or death.”

freddy July 6, 2018

For Hyperkalemia: “I took sodium polystyrene for a month, and I gained 15 lbs during that time. I called my doctor, who gave samples me samples of valtessa. I feel better now, and have lost 20 lbs in weight. My doctor could not determine what happened to my body by using polystyrene and he gave me no answers on why my weight dropped , using valtessa.”

Anonymous June 30, 2015

Kionex (sodium polystyrene sulfonate) for Hyperkalemia: “It works to reduce potassium but it does so by inducing 6-8 hours of severe diarrhea. You can't leave the house, can't sleep, and are lucky if you can leave the bathroom.”