User Reviews for Pilocarpine to treat Xerostomia

Also known as: Salagen

Pilocarpine has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 9 ratings for the treatment of Xerostomia. 56% of those users who reviewed Pilocarpine reported a positive effect, while 33% reported a negative effect.

Pilocarpine Rating Summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Xerostomia.

22% 2
22% 2
11% 1
11% 1
33% 3
KATIE · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 22, 2020

“Used PILOCARPINE for MONTHS!! Did NOTHING for me. ALL blood tests for Sjogren's came back NEGATIVE. Finally went to an ENT and he took biopsies of inner bottom lip. ALL biopsies came back POSITIVE for Sjogren's. Changed pilocarpine to EVOXAC (cevimeline). BEST move ever!”

Anonymous September 6, 2019

“After radiation my mouth got so dry that I was unable to talk or sleep at night pilocarpine 7.5 mg 4 times a day changed my life !”

G · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 24, 2019

“For dry mouth this is my tip or advice, this works the best: use xylitol tablets, I attach one to the roof of my mouth close to front teeth will slowly melt. Works great NO side effects!”

Simca · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 9, 2019

“Pilocarpine medicine has made a tremendous improvement to my quality of life, of having a dry mouth. Dry mouth can sound trivial - but if you've got it, it's a daily misery - and in addition to the pain, it destroys your teeth. I use pilocarpine daily.”

Nikki · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 26, 2019

“Well over a year ago I experienced dry mouth ... Went to my doctor ... Didn't do anything ... Said it was probably because of all the medications I had to take ... Went to another dentist ... Did literally nothing as well ... Went to an oral surgeon ... Charged me $150 and gave me a prescription for a mouth rinse ... Went to ucla ... Saw two oral surgeons ... Gave me pilocarpine ... It corrected my dry mouth but caused me to have a thick stringy saliva in place of the dry mouth ... My new primary care physician suggested that I use biotene mouthwash ... Didn't help ... I still have it ... It's nauseating and I can't find anyone to help me to overcome this crap ... Gets onto my lips and stuff hardens while on my lips ... I unequivocally need help ... Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease ...”

Ynohtna · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 13, 2018

Salagen (pilocarpine): “Started using this upon recommendation of my dentist for my severe dry mouth. My mouth gets so dry at times it gets hard to talk and it's destroying my teeth. I find the only time I need this is when at work and sweat a lot. Has helped out a lot. Drawbacks are I get hot/chill flashes at times after taking it and it will definitely make your nose start running. Another problem is I can't take it before going to bed because it produces so much saliva that I get choked on it and you will wake up to a big drool spot on your pillow. I now use a toothpaste containing xylitol before going to bed and that has helped out since regular flouride toothpaste dries my mouth out more. Overall this medication has helped me out a lot and I do recommend it.”

dee 123 December 26, 2017

Salagen (pilocarpine): “I've taken them for burning dry tongue now my mouth and tongue is even drier”

Popinator November 13, 2017

Salagen (pilocarpine): “I have severe dry mouth from radiation treatment, resulting in severe tooth decay. Salagen has really helped soothe my mouth and gums”

Louisefed March 7, 2017

Salagen (pilocarpine): “I have sjogrens so have a dry mouth. I would give it 10, but I find only one drawback. I can take only four per day and many days I could use just one more. But this has really been a godsend for me. I developed 30 small cavities during the time that I was not taking this (about one year). And I was slurring my words so much because of the completely dry mouth - my husband actually thought I was having a series of strokes. With pilocarpine I have my dental problems under control, and I have my voice and comfort back. My primary doctor did not know about this. My rheumatologist did not suggest it, my dentist did not know of it... I got on the internet and looked for a medicine that had the side effect of making my "mouth water" -- almost immediately I found this Rx.”

Learn more about Xerostomia