User Reviews for Lactulose

Hepatic Encephalopathy 7.3
Summary of Lactulose reviews 7.9 84 reviews

Reviews for Lactulose

Cazzy67 · Taken for less than 1 month September 15, 2020

For Constipation, Acute: “If you are at all sensitive to sugars, beware. What it was supposed to help, just made it 1000x worse. When I actually looked it up, I figured out why I was suffering. Was not a fun night, my poor dog lol”

Another contipation patient · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “Haha I am so laughing you guys are funny. So mine is chronic for almost a year, after it started in the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. Its never been an issue my whole life, I'm almost 40. I have tried everything you can think of. It works and then just suddenly stop working. Which most of the stuff give such bad cramps. So I thought to try Lactulose. Well its been day 3 with 15ml morning and 15ml night. I went twice which is so little and feeling its not enough. Earlier I took 40ml and the gas, its just gas ”

MiMi August 23, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have a muscle contraction condition that won't allow me to go. I poured a load of lactulose in orange juice and 20 minutes later I barely made it to the toilet for my blow out. If you eat or drink anything you'll blow every time. It takes an entire day to get back to normal. The gas would've set my house on fire is I didn't have an electric stove. I took about 3 tablespoons and it was worth the relief I felt.”

Nevermore · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 23, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “I took lactulose while on vacation with another couple. My usual problem happened so I took half dose when we got home. We proceeded to play cards. In about an hour I ran to bathroom barely making it. Then again, not making it. Long story short, I ran out of clean underwear and also used most of my underwear during that evening. Next day I utilized the washer and have never taken lactulose again. I'll just stick with the occasional laxative and live with my problem.”

Kbblue · Taken for less than 1 month July 17, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “After reading others comments on their experience with lactulose, frankly I'm jealous. I was prescribed this for "moderate constipation" which left me in such bad pain that I went to the ER. I've been taking 15ML per day for 3 days. And.... Not a burp, not a fart, absolutely nothing. The day after my first dose I got "the poo cramps" and gleefully raced to a toilet only to be left disappointed and still full of you know what.”

kmvyas84 · Taken for less than 1 month July 2, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “Doctor prescribed 15ml 2x/day Started today 10:50; I had a normal BM at 2:30 First after many years Then I took it again at 5:00; no luck I have multiple sclerosis since 2005 & ibs-c This took away my pain one time and I hope it does in the future.”

Lillylilo1 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 2, 2020

For Constipation, Acute: “Try different ways of taking this medicine lactulose. For me, taking it the way the label said just didn’t do anything. It caused major and very embarrassing gas. Honestly don’t leave the house the day you begin this dosing. What I found was it hindered my sleep because of the gas, a lot of tummy rumbling, luckily was sleeping alone that night. Don’t underestimate the frequency of the gas either, constant. I think try out different ways. I take 1 entire capful, and that usually does the trick. Just don’t make any plans for that day.”

Axaandiemaya May 29, 2020

For Constipation, Acute: “I started to take this the way it says on the label, 15ML twice a day. It did nothing for me other than cause terrible, vile flatulence. The smell was like a sewer, and zero relief. Annoyed after about 3 days, I decided to take more. So I took 60ML in one. Within 2 hours, I had had a bowel movement. In the end all that came out was liquid. There seemed to be less flatulence also. I find it’s sort of unpredictable when you take it day and night, you may or may not have a movement the next day. Or you might, and it might not be satisfactory (could be very small, still feel like you need to go after) which is very almost upsetting really when you know what it’s like to suffer so much from constipation. The flatulence ends if you take it for a few days it’s as though ur body needs time to get used to it. If you’re going to use this, use it on a day when you don’t need to be anywhere or meet anyone! Take the 60ML and take it with a warm drink to help it along.”

Hope · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “have been taking Lactulose 4 times a day, still no urge to go even started on natural laxative and fiber in my coffee”

OmgGirl · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2020

For Constipation, Acute: “So... I have having trouble passing through a bowel motion as currently there is a tear. Anyway. I would hurt when I was trying. So I was quite scared to go to the toilet knowing it was going to hurt. My partner has lactose which was for himself Previously. So I took the recommendation dose.. a couple hours passed and I was delayed they fact I needed to go to the loo. So I took another dose.. OMG... DO NOT TAKE ANOTHER DOSE 2 HOURS AFTER.. I was farting. Burping. Farting. Left right and centre. Stinking the place out. I was ready to go to bed when the trapped wind came along. So I ran to the toilet and that’s when all-hell broke loose.. OMG. I’ve never been that bad ever. It’s really gross and I wouldn’t want anyone to go through that. My partner came through to see if I was ok and funny enough he’s making a joke out of it but trust me DO NOT TAKE MORE IN 2 HOURS, you’re toilet will hate you.. I’m ok now it does it’s job if that’s what you were looking for”

Jaws · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 7, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “This drug is a miracle worker, as I have MS and slow digestive transit as a result my stools dry out and I have can’t go for 7-8 day’s... as a result. Taking only 25ml of lactose ever second day does the trick, no bloating, no pain just regular movements that are normal to pass. Side effect for me is, yes, wind normally 4-8 only hours 6 hours after taking dose, but 4 hours wind Is a small price to pay. It is very sweet, sweeter than sugar, but actual like it, I must have a very sweet tooth. It’s in no way unpleasant to take just sweet.”

Vaana · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have suffered from terrible constipation my whole life ... I'm 61 now. I eats tons of vegetables, drink lots of water and have tried Fybogel and other bulking agents. Nothing worked! 3 weeks ago I had an operation and was advised to take Lactulose to avoid straining my wound. Well... what a transformation. Since then I take 30mls per day and have a perfect bowel movement daily. I only wish I had discovered lactulose earlier in my life. I'm lucky in that I actually enjoy the sweet syrup and I suffer very little wind at all. Everyone's different but I would definitely say it's worth a try.”

Joesyjo28 February 6, 2020

For Constipation, Acute: “I was prescribed lactulose for constant bloating and constipation but the taste is disgusting and taste so overly SWEET! ( like drinking syrup ) but apart from that I find that it doesn't works as well at all, unlike the sodium picosulphate it works instantly after 7hrs. This laxative isn't as effective at all apart from it causes excessive WIND and they smell so bad to the point it's too disgusting to bare. Plus I can't tell when it's a fart or a poo neither it's scary to expel it incase I poo myself :/ TMI I know but it's TRUE! I don't think it's as good for constipation but good for wind but it also has not helped with bloating as I still wake up bloated and have it all day and night :(”

Stevens · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2020

For Constipation, Acute: “I occasionally use this lactulose for severe constipation most often caused by drugs. I don't find it works straight away. I have lymphocytic colitis and ibsd so my gut is very sensitive. Yes, lactulose is effective but very quickly the frequent farts become smellly and toxic. I stay away from people because of it. Over a few days farts start to expel little bits of poo and I soil my pants. I become too frightened to fart when out. I also can't tell the difference between a fart or a poo so I have to go to the loo every time just incase. Bit of a nuisance when it turns out to be just a fart. For those without lymphocytic colitis and ibsd its probably fine. Don't be put off by my experience.”

Dawn · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “Having had a hysterectomy, was told I was not to strain when needing to poo. Having had a dose after trying other methods ie drinking more water extra fibre other laxative, finally relief. When at home, I purchased Lactulose over the chemist counter, WOW, one dose a day, no more constipation, very content with this product, I can’t recommend it more higher ”

Anu · Taken for less than 1 month November 19, 2019

Duphalac (lactulose) for Constipation, Acute: “I used this Duphalac syrup but I can say that its the worst medicine have seen ever in my life and has not even a single percent of laxative effect, in fact it had opposite effect to this it will even increase hardness of stool. If I would had an option to rate this medicine I would have rated it in negative. Such a waste company and product. I would request to don’t buy this medicine any chance. Rating: -10 the worst”

Anonymous September 25, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I tried everything, metamucil, colace, dulcolax, magnesium supplements, miralax 3 days. Don't mess around with these just get a prescription for lactulose.... done!”

What a relief! September 15, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I had to see the dr eventually due to having an anal fissure, a very painful thing to have. I was finding it hard to get any sleep with out pain. My dr suggested to take lactulose brand called Actilax. I haven't ever taken laxatives. My first dose was after I purchased it lunch time and then evening The next day at lunch time I had a soft bowel motion twice. Two days later I took it once a day, no more pain going or blood. I suggest not diluting yes it is a thick syrup with odd taste! But drink lots of water during the day. Side effects wind! Didn't come with the special dosage cup Lower the dosage on the third day I'm so surprised I have no more bleeding which I had had for weeks.”

Tammy · Taken for less than 1 month September 8, 2019

For Constipation, Acute: “I had much antibiotics resulting in Constipation . I took this lactulose liquid for 3 days and the stools became soft. Very effective, works well!”

Kate · Taken for less than 1 month August 31, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I passed gas and a bit of abdominal discomfort the 1st time I took this med, but the side effect of the 2nd time is worse. Although defecation occurred one hour after I took the med at 10mL dose only, I experienced painful bowel cramping last for hours into early morning.”

Is this normal? August 16, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “My daughter was constipated for 3 weeks. After two hospitals, one prescribed Lactulose. 45 ml three times a day. It’s been 5 days and all that has happened is diarrhea. Is that normal?? Is that the stool that has liquified?”

Baldie August 1, 2019

For Constipation, Acute: “I am a middle-aged woman. I’ve had constipation issues since I can remember. I’ve become used to going twice a week. But chemo for cancer treatment recently put me over the one-week mark and I was in agony when prescribed stool softeners and every other OTC thing I threw at it did nothing. This drug lactulose worked. Took a 15ml dose (3 tsp with a nice little syringe measure that came with) then repeated two hours later with a big drink of water and bowels moved several times shortly after second dose. It made my stomach rumble and gave me diarrhea, but it was worth it. (Stay home and close to a toilet.) I Dialled back the dose and then stopped altogether for now but it was the kickstart I needed. It’s a relief to know it’s in the arsenal. It is kind of thick and very sweet, but that was not a dealbreaker for me. (May be mixed into food or drink, but I just quickly drank it straight.) Highly recommend for those struggling.”

SmolBean · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “I have inflammatory bowel syndrome that sometimes causes me not to have bowel movements for weeks, my primary care doctor prescribed this to me for my IBS. I take 15ml of this twice a day, it says it's supposed to take 48 hours to work but it CERTAINLY doesn't take that long for me. It tastes HORRIBLE on its own but I mix it in with pink lemonade and I can't taste a thing.”

Randall · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2019

For Constipation, Chronic: “Recommended by my primary care doctor after two gastoenterologists struck out for years. Works very well. Some people dislike the sweet taste but you can camouflage it in it in orange juice or real cranberry juice.”

Paul · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2019

For Constipation, Acute: “I have an anal fissure which is very painful if my stool is hard. Each time I go to the toilet the fissure can reopen and the healing process has to start again. Taking lactose has soften my stool so giving my anal fissure time to heal. I take 15ml once a day before bed with a cup of water. Certainly makes life in the morning a lot less painful.”