User Reviews for Ivermectin to treat Scabies

Also known as: Stromectol

Ivermectin has an average rating of 8.3 out of 10 from a total of 13 ratings for the treatment of Scabies. 77% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 8% reported a negative effect.

Ivermectin Rating Summary

8.3/10 average rating

Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Scabies.

Reviews for Ivermectin

DrFomo December 30, 2019

“1 - First round Permethrin Nothing. 2-Second round Permethrin Nothing again. I call the Doctor: "Ivermectin please — this didn't work". 3-First round Ivermectin Nothing happens 4 - Third round Permethrin New bites 5 - Second round Ivermectin (FAREWELL SCABIES!) Just as another reviewer had said, I took all five 3 mg tablets, and everything seemed to just die down after about three hours and I woke to ZERO itch and the red spots disappearing quickly. 6 - Case closed I woke this morning, and ALL ITCHING IS GONE. My suggestion is that Ivermectin be prescribed with Permethrin. The second doses together 5-7 days afterward. Scabies is the worst, and for those who have not had it, feel fortunate P.S. Those real itches that would naturally occur during your infestation - that were not bite-related? You just assume it is Mites . . . I will never scratch an itch the same way again.”

Anonymous January 20, 2010

Stromectol (ivermectin): “Works good, but the bug has to bite you in order for it to be effective. Administered by body weight formula. Saturation to full strength within 4 hours after ingestion. Remains at full strength for appx. 18 hours. Dissipation afterwards at appx. 2.5mg per day. Estimated half life is 12 days per dose. All conditions depend on body weight. Kills bugs wherever they feed, including those in the skin, which may cause ulcers from the decomposing dead parasite. Effectiveness on pre-existing eggs is questionable. Work closely with a doctor on the dosage and saturation levels or overlap doses. Keep records on reactions/results.”

Itchi · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2020

“Did the nix cream for scabies three times with no luck. New lesions the same day as last treatment, which was supposed to kill them all. Asked my doctor for the Ivermectin after being bothered with scabies and itching for over 9 months. 5 pills + nix cream twice, one week apart did the trick. Itching was gone within hours, and bumps gone within two days. No new bumps or lesions! Though the Ivermectin says not to eat, I was told by my doctor to eat a bunch before taking it, so make sure to consult your doctor about this. I’m just so happy I’m rid of it, thank god for the Ivermectin.”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

“Got this bump 5 weeks ago thought nothing of it just hives. More appeared went to the doctor knew it was scabies from the bumps. Took 3 treatments of permethrin they kept coming back shortly the day after, researched found out about invermectin it's the best treatment my first dose everything stopped, awaiting 2nd dose after a week. But I seem to be cured and I'd say it stays on your system a good few days, it is 100 times better then that useless cream. If you get side effects to invermectin my heart goes out to you. The fact doctors don't prescribe or know about this drug is madness. I had to tell them to give it to me!”

AAA · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

“I was diagnosed with scabies at the ER and was given permethrin cream in 2 doses. It didn't work so I went back to two different doctors; one said it wasn't scabies it was bedbugs and another said not bedbugs but psychosomatic. Reluctantly the 2nd doctor gave me ivermectin after I asked for it and three hours after taking it my itching and stinging stopped and I could get some sleep. The scabies skin activity started up the next day for several hours and then went away completely by the 3rd day. I think this med should be protocol.”

Carol · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2020

“2 years of torture I have scars all over my body. I have become OCD so afraid of any dirt germs etc. Dr's said it was in my mind. They found it amusing. I'm on government health care. After long illness. Finally after bothering them over n over n maybe because I mentioned Attorneys? I'm finally given ivermectin it has helped more than the cream just wondering if after 2yrs my infestation is so bad that it won't work and back to them saying it's in my head. I'm isolated completely and my quality of life is ZERO. THANKS DOCTORS.”

itchingfor months June 12, 2020

“I picked up scabies at work in August 2019. I have eczema and thought it a very bad exacerbation and developed cellulitis treated with antibiotics . Went to the GP three times before anyone diagnosed scabies, had two tubes of Permethrin, then three more with no improvement - and I applied it meticulously . I saw the dermatologist for more antibiotics for an infected leg and a prescription for Malathion. After two more weeks a prescription for oral Ivermectin ,just one dose I explained you need two. No Ivermectin in the country so waited 12 days. Effective for about 14 days , then back they come. another two tubes Permethrin, infected feet now , these things are knocking my immunity and desperately using alternatives such as neem , clove oil and tea tree. Then I ordered more invermectin which took six weeks to arrive. I believe the mites are Permethrin resistant and the GP'S do not understand treatment and have limited experience of diagnosis ,”

Jojo · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2019

“I contracted scabies and use permethrin Cream 5 times to no avail did not work for me very frustrated finally went to the dermatologist and was given two doses of ivermectin 10 days apart did the trick. Rid of the scabies and I highly recommended it should definitely be the first line of defence against scabies not the cream does not work at least not for me and it made my rash a lot worse than it was with the scabies was just awful thank God for Ivermectin it is definitely the cure for scabies”

Alicat November 24, 2019

“Me and my daughter contracted Scabies, permethrin was used to no avail, we suffer for 4 months before dr prescribed Ivermectin, we had to take 3 doses , mine are gone, After 3 weeks I still have them coming out from my skin, unfortunately my daughter still has them , I feel Drs should be more knowledgeable about scabies, I had to tell by dr what to prescribe,”

cpadg August 28, 2009

“After trying the prescription cream 3 times with no improvement, I talked my doctor into giving me this. I took the two doses one week apart. In about 2 weeks I could no longer find live scabies on my skin and my rash lesions were beginning to heal.”

DrFomo v2.0 · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

“So, it was my ex girlfriend that (apparently) gave me the scabies in the first place. See my other review where I went self under-misdiagnosed for about two months before treatment, which took three runs. I got with her right after New Years and I recognized that “itch” right away. Called doctor and got (another) permethrin and Ivermectin treatment. She was badly infested as I had females lay a lot of eggs, and still reeling 9 days later. Bad mistake, and I am going to find the cure for this horrible infestation.”

Mr Flower · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2021

“Blocked by Boots from ordering more than one 4x3mg dose, even though the doctor was willing to write a prescription for 28 x 3mg, because not licensed in the uk, my wife and I have had Scabies for 4 months and have tried everything, nothing works,”

AG · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2020

“I've done 4 doses of ivermectin and 7 days of permithrin together and still can't get rid of scabies. Please help”

Learn more about Scabies