User Reviews for Ivermectin

Also known as: Stromectol

Ivermectin has an average rating of 7.9 out of 10 from a total of 18 ratings on Drugs.com. 70% of those users who reviewed Ivermectin reported a positive effect, while 15% reported a negative effect.

Scabies  Off-label
Strongyloidiasis
Summary of Ivermectin reviews 7.9 18 reviews

Reviews for Ivermectin

Joebob · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2021

For Cutaneous Larva Migrans: “I took it last night and promptly after 10 times to the toilet lost the contents of my stomach and diarrhea. I am being careful. Not eating much. And washing all the glasses I use. Wash my hands more often be too. I hate to be sick.”

Witkop · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 15, 2021

For Ascariasis: “Worked 100% for me”

Carol · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2020

For Scabies: “2 years of torture I have scars all over my body. I have become OCD so afraid of any dirt germs etc. Dr's said it was in my mind. They found it amusing. I'm on government health care. After long illness. Finally after bothering them over n over n maybe because I mentioned Attorneys? I'm finally given ivermectin it has helped more than the cream just wondering if after 2yrs my infestation is so bad that it won't work and back to them saying it's in my head. I'm isolated completely and my quality of life is ZERO. THANKS DOCTORS.”

Anonymous January 20, 2010

Stromectol (ivermectin) for Scabies: “Works good, but the bug has to bite you in order for it to be effective. Administered by body weight formula. Saturation to full strength within 4 hours after ingestion. Remains at full strength for appx. 18 hours. Dissipation afterwards at appx. 2.5mg per day. Estimated half life is 12 days per dose. All conditions depend on body weight. Kills bugs wherever they feed, including those in the skin, which may cause ulcers from the decomposing dead parasite. Effectiveness on pre-existing eggs is questionable. Work closely with a doctor on the dosage and saturation levels or overlap doses. Keep records on reactions/results.”

DrFomo December 30, 2019

For Scabies: “1 - First round Permethrin Nothing. 2-Second round Permethrin Nothing again. I call the Doctor: "Ivermectin please — this didn't work". 3-First round Ivermectin Nothing happens 4 - Third round Permethrin New bites 5 - Second round Ivermectin (FAREWELL SCABIES!) Just as another reviewer had said, I took all five 3 mg tablets, and everything seemed to just die down after about three hours and I woke to ZERO itch and the red spots disappearing quickly. 6 - Case closed I woke this morning, and ALL ITCHING IS GONE. My suggestion is that Ivermectin be prescribed with Permethrin. The second doses together 5-7 days afterward. Scabies is the worst, and for those who have not had it, feel fortunate P.S. Those real itches that would naturally occur during your infestation - that were not bite-related? You just assume it is Mites . . . I will never scratch an itch the same way again.”

Itchi · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2020

For Scabies: “Did the nix cream for scabies three times with no luck. New lesions the same day as last treatment, which was supposed to kill them all. Asked my doctor for the Ivermectin after being bothered with scabies and itching for over 9 months. 5 pills + nix cream twice, one week apart did the trick. Itching was gone within hours, and bumps gone within two days. No new bumps or lesions! Though the Ivermectin says not to eat, I was told by my doctor to eat a bunch before taking it, so make sure to consult your doctor about this. I’m just so happy I’m rid of it, thank god for the Ivermectin.”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2020

For Scabies: “Got this bump 5 weeks ago thought nothing of it just hives. More appeared went to the doctor knew it was scabies from the bumps. Took 3 treatments of permethrin they kept coming back shortly the day after, researched found out about invermectin it's the best treatment my first dose everything stopped, awaiting 2nd dose after a week. But I seem to be cured and I'd say it stays on your system a good few days, it is 100 times better then that useless cream. If you get side effects to invermectin my heart goes out to you. The fact doctors don't prescribe or know about this drug is madness. I had to tell them to give it to me!”

AAA · Taken for less than 1 month October 9, 2019

For Scabies: “I was diagnosed with scabies at the ER and was given permethrin cream in 2 doses. It didn't work so I went back to two different doctors; one said it wasn't scabies it was bedbugs and another said not bedbugs but psychosomatic. Reluctantly the 2nd doctor gave me ivermectin after I asked for it and three hours after taking it my itching and stinging stopped and I could get some sleep. The scabies skin activity started up the next day for several hours and then went away completely by the 3rd day. I think this med should be protocol.”

Lsta · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 12, 2018

Stromectol (ivermectin) for Cutaneous Larva Migrans: “Took it for 2 days and then every 12 days for 6 weeks. Saved my sanity. Incredibly effective. My doctor refused to send me to an infectious disease doctor to be treated and infectious disease doctors only take referrals so I bought it from out of the country.”

itchingfor months June 12, 2020

For Scabies: “I picked up scabies at work in August 2019. I have eczema and thought it a very bad exacerbation and developed cellulitis treated with antibiotics . Went to the GP three times before anyone diagnosed scabies, had two tubes of Permethrin, then three more with no improvement - and I applied it meticulously . I saw the dermatologist for more antibiotics for an infected leg and a prescription for Malathion. After two more weeks a prescription for oral Ivermectin ,just one dose I explained you need two. No Ivermectin in the country so waited 12 days. Effective for about 14 days , then back they come. another two tubes Permethrin, infected feet now , these things are knocking my immunity and desperately using alternatives such as neem , clove oil and tea tree. Then I ordered more invermectin which took six weeks to arrive. I believe the mites are Permethrin resistant and the GP'S do not understand treatment and have limited experience of diagnosis ,”

Jojo · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 13, 2019

For Scabies: “I contracted scabies and use permethrin Cream 5 times to no avail did not work for me very frustrated finally went to the dermatologist and was given two doses of ivermectin 10 days apart did the trick. Rid of the scabies and I highly recommended it should definitely be the first line of defence against scabies not the cream does not work at least not for me and it made my rash a lot worse than it was with the scabies was just awful thank God for Ivermectin it is definitely the cure for scabies”

Alicat November 24, 2019

For Scabies: “Me and my daughter contracted Scabies, permethrin was used to no avail, we suffer for 4 months before dr prescribed Ivermectin, we had to take 3 doses , mine are gone, After 3 weeks I still have them coming out from my skin, unfortunately my daughter still has them , I feel Drs should be more knowledgeable about scabies, I had to tell by dr what to prescribe,”

cpadg August 28, 2009

For Scabies: “After trying the prescription cream 3 times with no improvement, I talked my doctor into giving me this. I took the two doses one week apart. In about 2 weeks I could no longer find live scabies on my skin and my rash lesions were beginning to heal.”

frustrated momma March 3, 2011

Stromectol (ivermectin) for Head Lice: “After battling head lice for 6 months and spending hundreds of dollars and countless painful, tear filled hours, I finally was at my wits end and went to my doctor in tears. We are clean people but somehow we get rid of these awful bugs and then surprise, they are back. My doctor prescribed this medicine and I was very hesitant because I could not find any information regarding the treatment used for head lice but within 24 hrs of taking this medicine the lice bugs are just falling out and the nits will easily comb out. This is the worst thing that my 11 yr old has ever been through and I just hope it works. Will continue to let you know.”

ClintNYtoVA · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2016

For Ascariasis: “Broad spectrum antiparasitic that works by paralyzing the invader so it loses its grip and is flushed out safely and without releasing its internal contents which can cause aggravating reaction to toxins within. Well tolerated, safe, and effective against many different types of parasites some of which are still unidentified. Not effective for pinworm, hookworm, or trichinosis but when combined with subsequent albenzadole or mebenzadole use will erradicate the majority of offending known and some unknown parasites. Be sure to use as directed and do a short course follow up retreatment as it may not work against eggs or cysts forms which may take 7-14 days to hatch. This medicine has a long half life and doses tend to be cumulative for days”

Vives August 1, 2013

Stromectol (ivermectin) for Strongyloidiasis: “I have recently taken my third round of Stromectol for a skin condition that I describe as 'worms beneath the skin'. My dermatologist prefers to call my condition, 'V's rash'. I am using Stromectol with a daily dose of 200mg doxycycline. Yes, it does make me nauseous, but worth it. Stromectol has worked the best this third time. I begin my second phase today, as I began the third course two weeks ago. I've had no 'activity' in the skin since the third round began. Hope this last dose helps these. ”

DrFomo v2.0 · Taken for less than 1 month January 24, 2020

For Scabies: “So, it was my ex girlfriend that (apparently) gave me the scabies in the first place. See my other review where I went self under-misdiagnosed for about two months before treatment, which took three runs. I got with her right after New Years and I recognized that “itch” right away. Called doctor and got (another) permethrin and Ivermectin treatment. She was badly infested as I had females lay a lot of eggs, and still reeling 9 days later. Bad mistake, and I am going to find the cure for this horrible infestation.”

cynicaldemiurge · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2019

“I was prescribed to take ivermectin for headlice for 3 consecutive days and 4 times a day at 3mg each. The first day was very mild dizziness, no problem. The second day was fine. I only started getting side effects the night on Day 2, and they were horrific. Muscle tremors, shaking, rashes, loss of appetite, heart palpitations. I was trying to sleep and I kept being woken up from doze because of the palpitations. Well I tried continuing its usage up until midday Day 3, when I was so beyond the point of shaking that my teeth were chattering and I had to stop taking them of fear of something happening to me. Fast forward a few days later off of them, still experiencing side effects. Skin is peeling, skin is red, moderate shaking. I gave a few stars because I do feel like it was helping for my condition but it did not outweigh the side effects. Contacted my doctor for something else.”

AG · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 6, 2020

For Scabies: “I've done 4 doses of ivermectin and 7 days of permithrin together and still can't get rid of scabies. Please help”

Gfaye · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 25, 2017

For Ascariasis: “I have developed conjunctivitis. My eyes are constantly itchy. My blood pressure, which has always on the low side has suddenly become high and my intestines are acting up.”