User Reviews for Ivermectin

Also known as: Stromectol

Ivermectin has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 38 ratings on Drugs.com. 72% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 15% reported a negative experience.

Click for information on using ivermectin to treat and prevent COVID-19.

Scabies  Off-label
Strongyloidiasis
Summary of Ivermectin reviews 7.8 38 reviews

Reviews for Ivermectin

LEHop · Taken for less than 1 month · August 15, 2021

For COVID-19: “In February 2021 I was diagnosed with Covid later turning into pneumonia. Most recently the pneumonia has completely taken over my life I can’t talk, walk or eat without great difficulty because I cannot breathe. The pulmonologist I was seeing just put me on prednisone which hardly did a thing. I went back to my primary who put me on dexamethasone and Ivermectin and within two weeks, two weeks I could breathe again I only wish I went to my doctor sooner. I am thankful for my primary care physician and the ivermectin.”

Anonymous · August 27, 2021

For COVID-19: “50yo female, 37yr smoker. I took ivermectin on the day I tested positive for Covid and woke up the next day symptom free. My lungs did start congestion on day 7 but I was taking the ivermectin every 4th day so it kept it from going deep and I was fully recovered at two weeks. My husband also took it, 52yo 310lbs and he too knocked out symptoms using ivermectin every fourth day. Both are fully recovered.”

Barbara 1958 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 25, 2021

For COVID-19: “My husband & I did not take the vaccine but we are not high risk. We got on Ivermectin to hopefully keep us from getting the virus and we were both very hopeful since my neighbor said it worked & I read a lot about it online too. My daughter & grandkids visited first week of July & the day after they got back home they were diagnosed with Covid. July 12th, My husband and I also tested positive. BUT we were still taking the Ivermectin!! Thank God we survived & are finally doing better. I’m still really tired & having issues with my heart racing & dizzy spells, so I’m on leave from my part time job at my church. My husband got much sicker than I did but he survived, thank God. He is on oxygen still, but he’s out of the hospital after 25 days! I DO think IVERMECTIN helped us survive this horrible virus! It was EASY to take & while didn’t keep us from getting it & being very sick, it may have kept us from DYING as we know several that have died & they didn’t take it.”

Virginia71 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · August 27, 2021

For COVID-19: “My husband (48) & I (44) took Ivermectin trying to protect us from Covid. Side effects were AWFUL: stomach pains, nausea, diarrhea & my husband had really bad blurred vision & dizziness. He stopped taking it after 3 wks because of side effects. I hoped it would work better than it did, but we BOTH still got Covid 4 weeks after starting Ivermectin. My son, who refused to take Ivermectin since he was vaccinated for his job (mandated), didn’t get Covid although he is currently staying with us. I think it was all for nothing since we’re both still so sick after 16 days & my son didn’t have any of these side effects with his vaccine & also didn’t even get sick! Worth noting that the ER doc said my husband was already weak & dehydrated when he got Covid-19 since he’d been having diarrhea for weeks before, from the Ivermectin. I don’t recommend taking Ivermectin-It didn’t keep us from getting Covid & we are still really sick with Covid.”

GrumpyOldMailma · Taken for less than 1 month · June 15, 2022

For COVID-19: “My wife and I are 65 and 64 years old . We both contracted Covid 19 the second week of May 2022. She displayed symptoms first on Monday by Wednesday she was very sick headache breathing difficulties and cough and fever . After testing positive she took ivermectin and doxycycline. Within hours after starting the ivermectin she improved rapidly. I tested positive and started my medicines and within three days we were both doing much better. As a side benefit we both have arthritis in our joints and we were absolutely pain free for nearly two weeks after taking the ivermectin with doxycycline.”

DrFomo · December 30, 2019

For Scabies: “1 - First round Permethrin Nothing. 2-Second round Permethrin Nothing again. I call the Doctor: "Ivermectin please — this didn't work". 3-First round Ivermectin Nothing happens 4 - Third round Permethrin New bites 5 - Second round Ivermectin (FAREWELL SCABIES!) Just as another reviewer had said, I took all five 3 mg tablets, and everything seemed to just die down after about three hours and I woke to ZERO itch and the red spots disappearing quickly. 6 - Case closed I woke this morning, and ALL ITCHING IS GONE. My suggestion is that Ivermectin be prescribed with Permethrin. The second doses together 5-7 days afterward. Scabies is the worst, and for those who have not had it, feel fortunate P.S. Those real itches that would naturally occur during your infestation - that were not bite-related? You just assume it is Mites . . . I will never scratch an itch the same way again.”

Anonymous · January 20, 2010

Stromectol (ivermectin) for Scabies: “Works good, but the bug has to bite you in order for it to be effective. Administered by body weight formula. Saturation to full strength within 4 hours after ingestion. Remains at full strength for appx. 18 hours. Dissipation afterwards at appx. 2.5mg per day. Estimated half life is 12 days per dose. All conditions depend on body weight. Kills bugs wherever they feed, including those in the skin, which may cause ulcers from the decomposing dead parasite. Effectiveness on pre-existing eggs is questionable. Work closely with a doctor on the dosage and saturation levels or overlap doses. Keep records on reactions/results.”

Long covid · September 14, 2022

For COVID-19: “My son and I both had long Covid. I had trouble with my smell and taste while my son was in bed for months. We tried everything and he was seeing a specialist but nothing was working. I decided to try ivermectin. My son was back to himself after three treatments and I was better after one. No adverse reactions, only unbelievable results. So thankful for this drug.”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month · August 29, 2020

For Scabies: “Got this bump 5 weeks ago thought nothing of it just hives. More appeared went to the doctor knew it was scabies from the bumps. Took 3 treatments of permethrin they kept coming back shortly the day after, researched found out about invermectin it's the best treatment my first dose everything stopped, awaiting 2nd dose after a week. But I seem to be cured and I'd say it stays on your system a good few days, it is 100 times better then that useless cream. If you get side effects to invermectin my heart goes out to you. The fact doctors don't prescribe or know about this drug is madness. I had to tell them to give it to me!”

Lsta · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 12, 2018

Stromectol (ivermectin) for Cutaneous Larva Migrans: “Took it for 2 days and then every 12 days for 6 weeks. Saved my sanity. Incredibly effective. My doctor refused to send me to an infectious disease doctor to be treated and infectious disease doctors only take referrals so I bought it from out of the country.”

JBw · January 25, 2022

For COVID-19: “It works. I think I had delta and started it on day one of testing positive. Was better in 3 days. Wife didn’t take it and ended up getting covid pneumonia! She wishes she took it bc she was sick for 3 weeks”

Itchi · Taken for less than 1 month · August 5, 2020

For Scabies: “Did the nix cream for scabies three times with no luck. New lesions the same day as last treatment, which was supposed to kill them all. Asked my doctor for the Ivermectin after being bothered with scabies and itching for over 9 months. 5 pills + nix cream twice, one week apart did the trick. Itching was gone within hours, and bumps gone within two days. No new bumps or lesions! Though the Ivermectin says not to eat, I was told by my doctor to eat a bunch before taking it, so make sure to consult your doctor about this. I’m just so happy I’m rid of it, thank god for the Ivermectin.”

AAA · Taken for less than 1 month · October 9, 2019

For Scabies: “I was diagnosed with scabies at the ER and was given permethrin cream in 2 doses. It didn't work so I went back to two different doctors; one said it wasn't scabies it was bedbugs and another said not bedbugs but psychosomatic. Reluctantly the 2nd doctor gave me ivermectin after I asked for it and three hours after taking it my itching and stinging stopped and I could get some sleep. The scabies skin activity started up the next day for several hours and then went away completely by the 3rd day. I think this med should be protocol.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month · July 30, 2022

For COVID-19: “I am 67 and my husband is 68. Neither of us were vaccinated. My son is a frequent visitor to Mexico, and he noted that he had not seen a huge epidemic of Covid in Mexico. Mexicans take Ivermectin, as it is sold over the counter. He brought back a supply to keep on hand. We contracted Covid, two months ago, from a fully Vaccinated couple we met at a party. Our symptoms were the same: congestion, lots of mucous, and exhaustion. It felt like we were coming down with colds. My husband visited the doctor for his congestion and tested positive for Covid. He couldn't believe it. We had no fever or loss of taste or smell. We had no dire symptoms. We took the Ivermectin and the next day, our symptoms had dissipated. Within 10 days, we were over it. We took two pills daily, for two days. There were no bad reactions It worked like a charm, and we were much better off than people who had been vaccinated.”

survived · Taken for less than 1 month · March 5, 2022

For COVID-19: “Husband (72) tested positive and was on a scary decline. Was able to get Ivermectin and is on the mend now. As for myself (58), I have not gotten it so far. Doctor gave me preventive ivermectin treatment. We are 16 days in this illness. I wish I had been able to get ivermectin sooner for my husband but even after 7 days delay he has been hospital free. He is overweight, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetic, and unvaccinated. We are thankful.”

Carol · Taken for less than 1 month · December 22, 2020

For Scabies: “2 years of torture I have scars all over my body. I have become OCD so afraid of any dirt germs etc. Dr's said it was in my mind. They found it amusing. I'm on government health care. After long illness. Finally after bothering them over n over n maybe because I mentioned Attorneys? I'm finally given ivermectin it has helped more than the cream just wondering if after 2yrs my infestation is so bad that it won't work and back to them saying it's in my head. I'm isolated completely and my quality of life is ZERO. THANKS DOCTORS.”

itchingfor months · June 12, 2020

For Scabies: “I picked up scabies at work in August 2019. I have eczema and thought it a very bad exacerbation and developed cellulitis treated with antibiotics . Went to the GP three times before anyone diagnosed scabies, had two tubes of Permethrin, then three more with no improvement - and I applied it meticulously . I saw the dermatologist for more antibiotics for an infected leg and a prescription for Malathion. After two more weeks a prescription for oral Ivermectin ,just one dose I explained you need two. No Ivermectin in the country so waited 12 days. Effective for about 14 days , then back they come. another two tubes Permethrin, infected feet now , these things are knocking my immunity and desperately using alternatives such as neem , clove oil and tea tree. Then I ordered more invermectin which took six weeks to arrive. I believe the mites are Permethrin resistant and the GP'S do not understand treatment and have limited experience of diagnosis ,”

Matt P · Taken for 1 to 6 months · June 21, 2022

For COVID-19: “I did not use Ivermectin as a treatment when I was COVID 19 positive. Post infection I have been a disaster with every imaginable lingering symptom. I suffered for months with massive fatigue, pain, dizziness, brain fog etc, Helpless, I finally did a run of ivermectin at 22mg per day for 3 days. On day 2 my brain fog lifted significantly and I felt more like myself. I improved, but still lingering symptoms. I did a second run and I this time had massive improvements in all my symptoms. It’s not a cure, but without question has been very effective in treating the lingering effects from the virus that many are struggling with.”

it truly worked · September 17, 2022

For COVID-19: “I'm a male at 63 years of age who contracted covid on an airplane and as of Wednesday morning of this week and now it's Friday evening. The 1st day was pretty uneventful with some weird feelings of headache and a little bit of body ache and then day 2 turned into a violent day of major headache pain and couldn't breathe out of my nose and restricted airways into my lungs and and I figured because of my underlying conditions of asthma, heart disease and weakened immune system that this was not gonna work for much longer by itself with no treatment so I chose to use Ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine and was able to get my hands on that product by Thursday evening and took my 1st dose of both and within one hour of taking the dose my fever had dropped back to normal and as of the next morning's dose yesterday I felt 100% normal again with no body aches no headaches full ability to breathe I felt like I had energy I felt like I could go out and mow the lawn.”

Jojo · Taken for 1 to 6 months · July 13, 2019

For Scabies: “I contracted scabies and use permethrin Cream 5 times to no avail did not work for me very frustrated finally went to the dermatologist and was given two doses of ivermectin 10 days apart did the trick. Rid of the scabies and I highly recommended it should definitely be the first line of defence against scabies not the cream does not work at least not for me and it made my rash a lot worse than it was with the scabies was just awful thank God for Ivermectin it is definitely the cure for scabies”

Alicat · November 24, 2019

For Scabies: “Me and my daughter contracted Scabies, permethrin was used to no avail, we suffer for 4 months before dr prescribed Ivermectin, we had to take 3 doses , mine are gone, After 3 weeks I still have them coming out from my skin, unfortunately my daughter still has them , I feel Drs should be more knowledgeable about scabies, I had to tell by dr what to prescribe,”

Sick in Miami · Taken for less than 1 month · January 2, 2022

For COVID-19: “I tried it and had terrible just terrible neurological side effects. I even took a pretty low does 9mg. If you have any CNS issues whatsoever or have had tinnuties, peripheral nerve issues DO NOT TAKE THIS. I am suffering big time with shaking, internal vibrations, and nerve issues and crossing my fingers this goes away.”

cpadg · August 28, 2009

For Scabies: “After trying the prescription cream 3 times with no improvement, I talked my doctor into giving me this. I took the two doses one week apart. In about 2 weeks I could no longer find live scabies on my skin and my rash lesions were beginning to heal.”

frustrated momma · March 3, 2011

Stromectol (ivermectin) for Head Lice: “After battling head lice for 6 months and spending hundreds of dollars and countless painful, tear filled hours, I finally was at my wits end and went to my doctor in tears. We are clean people but somehow we get rid of these awful bugs and then surprise, they are back. My doctor prescribed this medicine and I was very hesitant because I could not find any information regarding the treatment used for head lice but within 24 hrs of taking this medicine the lice bugs are just falling out and the nits will easily comb out. This is the worst thing that my 11 yr old has ever been through and I just hope it works. Will continue to let you know.”

ClintNYtoVA · Taken for less than 1 month · November 16, 2016

For Ascariasis: “Broad spectrum antiparasitic that works by paralyzing the invader so it loses its grip and is flushed out safely and without releasing its internal contents which can cause aggravating reaction to toxins within. Well tolerated, safe, and effective against many different types of parasites some of which are still unidentified. Not effective for pinworm, hookworm, or trichinosis but when combined with subsequent albenzadole or mebenzadole use will erradicate the majority of offending known and some unknown parasites. Be sure to use as directed and do a short course follow up retreatment as it may not work against eggs or cysts forms which may take 7-14 days to hatch. This medicine has a long half life and doses tend to be cumulative for days”