This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
Skin Adhesive Care
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
What is skin adhesive?
Skin adhesive is medical glue used to close wounds. It is a substitute for staples and stitches. Skin adhesive wound closures take less time and do not require anesthesia. You have less pain and a lower risk of infection than with staples or stitches. Skin adhesive will fall off after the wound is healed.
How do I care for the skin adhesive that covers my wound?
- Keep your wound clean and dry for 1 to 5 days. You can shower 24 hours after the skin adhesive is applied. Lightly pat your wound dry after you shower.
- Do not soak your wound in water, such as in a bath or hot tub.
- Do not scrub your wound or pick at the adhesive. This can make your wound reopen.
- Do not apply ointments to your wound. These include antibiotic and other ointments that contain petroleum jelly. These products will remove skin adhesive and reopen your wound.
When should I contact my healthcare provider?
- You have a fever.
- Your wound is red, swollen, and warm to touch.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
When should I seek immediate care?
- Your wound is draining pus.
- Your wound opens.
Care AgreementYou have the right to help plan your care. Learn about your health condition and how it may be treated. Discuss treatment options with your caregivers to decide what care you want to receive. You always have the right to refuse treatment. The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
© 2017 Truven Health Analytics Inc. Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or Truven Health Analytics.
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.