This material must not be used for commercial purposes, or in any hospital or medical facility. Failure to comply may result in legal action.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Parathyroid scintigraphy is a test used to look at parathyroid glands and tissues in your neck. The parathyroid glands maintain calcium and phosphate levels in your body. Sometimes the parathyroid glands are overactive. The test may show an adenoma (non-cancerous tumor) that is preventing the parathyroid glands from working properly. Parathyroid scintigraphy helps healthcare providers diagnose your condition and plan your treatment.
Call your local emergency number (911 in the US) if:
- Your chest feels tight or you have trouble breathing.
Call your doctor if:
- You have learned that you are pregnant.
- Your sense of taste changes after the test.
- You develop a red, itchy rash, hives, or tingling in your mouth or throat.
- You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.
- Drink liquids as directed. You may need to drink more liquids than usual. Ask your healthcare provider how much liquid to drink each day and which liquids are best for you. Liquids will help flush the radioactive medicine out of your body.
- You may not be able to breastfeed after this test. Ask healthcare providers how long you must stop breastfeeding.
Follow up with your doctor as directed:
Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.
© Copyright IBM Corporation 2021 Information is for End User's use only and may not be sold, redistributed or otherwise used for commercial purposes. All illustrations and images included in CareNotes® are the copyrighted property of A.D.A.M., Inc. or IBM Watson Health
The above information is an educational aid only. It is not intended as medical advice for individual conditions or treatments. Talk to your doctor, nurse or pharmacist before following any medical regimen to see if it is safe and effective for you.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.