Skip to Content

Liver Abscess

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:

A liver abscess is a collection of pus in the liver caused by bacteria, fungi, or parasites. You may have more than one abscess. The liver makes enzymes and bile that help digest food and gives your body energy. It also removes harmful material from your body, such as alcohol and other chemicals.


DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS:

Medicines:

  • Medicine can help treat an infection caused by bacteria, a fungus, or a parasite.
  • Take your medicine as directed. Contact your healthcare provider if you think your medicine is not helping or if you have side effects. Tell him or her if you are allergic to any medicine. Keep a list of the medicines, vitamins, and herbs you take. Include the amounts, and when and why you take them. Bring the list or the pill bottles to follow-up visits. Carry your medicine list with you in case of an emergency.

Eat a variety of healthy foods:

Healthy foods include fruits, vegetables, whole-grain breads, low-fat dairy products, beans, lean meats, and fish.

Do not drink alcohol:

Alcohol can damage your liver and increase your risk for another abscess. A drink of alcohol is 12 ounces of beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1½ ounces of liquor.

Follow up with your healthcare provider as directed:

Write down your questions so you remember to ask them during your visits.

Contact your healthcare provider if:

  • You have a fever.
  • You have a cough or feel weak and achy.
  • You have a rash.
  • You have questions or concerns about your condition or care.

Return to the emergency department if:

  • You have sudden trouble breathing.
  • You are vomiting or have seizures.
  • You have pain in your abdomen or it feels fuller than normal.

Further information

Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.

Learn more about Liver Abscess (Aftercare Instructions)

Associated drugs

Micromedex® Care Notes

Hide