Generic Name: yellow fever vaccine (YEL-oh FEEV-er)
Brand Name: YF-Vax
YF-Vax is used for:
Immunizing against yellow fever infections for those traveling or living in an area with risk of infection.
YF-Vax is a vaccine. It works by stimulating the body to create antibodies, which provide protection from yellow fever infection.
Do NOT use YF-Vax if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in YF-Vax or latex rubber
- you are allergic to eggs, egg products, or chicken protein
- you have a weakened immune system due to HIV or cancer or are receiving radiation treatment or chemotherapy (eg, alkylating drugs, corticosteroids)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using YF-Vax:
Some medical conditions may interact with YF-Vax. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with YF-Vax. However, no specific interactions with YF-Vax are known at this time.
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if YF-Vax may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use YF-Vax:
Use YF-Vax as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- YF-Vax is administered as an injection at the doctor's office, hospital, or a clinic. Ask your doctor or pharmacist any questions that you may have about YF-Vax.
- An International Certificate of Vaccination should be given with this vaccine and may need to be shown as documentation when traveling to certain countries.
- If you miss a dose of YF-Vax, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use YF-Vax.
Important safety information:
- Keep all doctor and lab appointments while using YF-Vax.
- If you have a fever, illness, or infection, your doctor may delay giving the vaccine. Discuss this with your doctor.
- It will take 10 days for the full protection of this vaccine to take effect. A booster is recommended every 10 years.
- Do not rely on this vaccine alone. Ask your doctor about preventative measures that can be taken to avoid exposure to yellow fever.
- YF-Vax is not recommended for use in INFANTS younger than 9 months of age because there is a higher risk of swelling in the brain.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using YF-Vax during pregnancy. It is unknown if YF-Vax is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using YF-Vax, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of YF-Vax:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Fever; mild headache; muscle aches; pain, swelling, and hardness at the injection site.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); swelling in the brain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of YF-Vax:
Store YF-Vax at a constant temperature in the freezer, at 32 to 41 degrees F (0 to 5 degrees C). Do not refreeze. Keep YF-Vax out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about YF-Vax, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- YF-Vax is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take YF-Vax or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about YF-Vax. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to YF-Vax. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using YF-Vax.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about YF-Vax (yellow fever vaccine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating