Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 17, 2020.
Uses of Virtrate-2:
- It is used to treat high acid levels in the blood.
- It is used to lower acid levels in the urine.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Virtrate-2?
- If you are allergic to Virtrate-2 (sodium citrate and citric acid); any part of Virtrate-2 (sodium citrate and citric acid); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have any of these health problems: Fluid loss (dehydrated), heat cramps, high potassium levels, a certain problem that causes periods of muscle weakness (adynamia episodica hereditaria), kidney disease, heart disease, unable to pass urine, or untreated Addison's disease.
- If you are on a low-salt or salt-free diet.
- If you are taking any of these drugs: Amiloride, eplerenone, spironolactone, or triamterene.
- If you are taking or have recently taken any of these drugs: Benazepril, captopril, enalapril, fosinopril, lisinopril, moexipril, perindopril, quinapril, ramipril, or trandolapril.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Virtrate-2 (sodium citrate and citric acid).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Virtrate-2 (sodium citrate and citric acid) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Virtrate-2?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Virtrate-2 (sodium citrate and citric acid). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Some products have benzyl alcohol. Do not give a product that has benzyl alcohol in it to a newborn or infant. Talk with the doctor to see if this product has benzyl alcohol in it.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Virtrate-2) best taken?
Use Virtrate-2 (sodium citrate and citric acid) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take Virtrate-2 (sodium citrate and citric acid) after meals and at bedtime or as you have been told by your doctor.
- Do not take aluminum products at the same time as Virtrate-2 (sodium citrate and citric acid). Talk with your doctor.
- Shake well before use.
- Mix with water as you have been told before drinking.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with Virtrate-2 (sodium citrate and citric acid). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure Virtrate-2 (sodium citrate and citric acid).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Virtrate-2?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Virtrate-2?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Protect from heat.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Virtrate-2 (sodium citrate and citric acid), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Virtrate-2 (citric acid / sodium citrate)
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.