Generic Name: Ribavirin Inhalation Solution (RYE ba VIR in)
Brand Name: Virazole
Medically reviewed on July 4, 2018
- Lung function that has gotten worse all of a sudden has happened with ribavirin inhalation solution. Talk with the doctor.
- Have your child's lung function checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine has caused testicle tumors in animals.
- This medicine has been shown to cause birth defects in animals. Talk with the doctor.
- This medicine is not approved for use in adults.
Uses of Ribavirin Inhalation Solution:
- It is used to treat lung (respiratory) syncytial virus.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Ribavirin Inhalation Solution?
- If your child has an allergy to ribavirin inhalation solution or any part of ribavirin inhalation solution.
- If your child is allergic to any drugs like this one or any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell the doctor about the allergy and what signs your child had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
If your child is pregnant:
- Do not give ribavirin inhalation solution to your child if she is pregnant.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell the doctor and pharmacist about all of your child's drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for your child to take ribavirin inhalation solution with all of his/her drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug your child takes without checking with the doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Ribavirin Inhalation Solution?
- Tell all of your child's health care providers that your child is taking ribavirin inhalation solution. This includes your child's doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
If your child is or may be sexually active:
- If your child gets pregnant while taking ribavirin inhalation solution, call the doctor right away.
If your child is breast-feeding a baby:
- Tell the doctor if your child is breast-feeding a baby. You will need to talk about any risks to the baby.
How is this medicine (Ribavirin Inhalation Solution) best taken?
Give ribavirin inhalation solution as ordered by your child's doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Your child will breathe in ribavirin inhalation solution from his/her mouth.
- This medicine will be given to your child by a doctor.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your child's doctor to find out what to do.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your child's doctor or get medical help right away if your child has any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of lung or breathing problems like shortness of breath or other trouble breathing, cough, or fever.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
What are some other side effects of Ribavirin Inhalation Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your child's doctor or get medical help if your child has any side effects that bother your child or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your child's doctor. Call your child's doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Ribavirin Inhalation Solution?
- If you need to store ribavirin inhalation solution at home, talk with your child's doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your child's symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your child's doctor.
- Do not share your child's drug with others and do not give anyone else's drug to your child.
- Keep a list of all your child's drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your child's doctor.
- Talk with your child's doctor before giving your child any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. If you have any questions about ribavirin inhalation solution, please talk with your child's doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about ribavirin inhalation solution, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about ribavirin
- Ribavirin Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 8 Reviews
- Drug class: inhaled anti-infectives
- Ribavirin Tablets
- Ribavirin Capsules
- Ribavirin Oral Solution
- Ribavirin (Advanced Reading)
- Ribavirin Inhalation, oral/nebulization (Advanced Reading)