Renvela powder packetsPronunciation
Generic Name: sevelamer (se-VEL-a-mer)
Brand Name: Renvela
Renvela powder packets are used for:
Reducing the amount of phosphorus in the blood in patients with chronic kidney disease who are on dialysis.
Renvela powder packets are a phosphate binder. It works by binding with phosphate in the digestive tract, which decreases the amount of phosphate absorbed into the body.
Do NOT use Renvela powder packets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Renvela powder packets
- you have a blockage of your bowels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Renvela powder packets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Renvela powder packets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have difficulty swallowing or certain stomach or bowel problems (eg, severe constipation), or if you have had stomach or bowel surgery
- if you have low blood phosphate levels
- if you take medicines for irregular heartbeat, seizures, or thyroid problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Renvela powder packets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Ciprofloxacin or mycophenolate mofetil because their effectiveness may be decreased by Renvela powder packets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Renvela powder packets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Renvela powder packets:
Use Renvela powder packets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Renvela powder packets with meals.
- Place the entire contents of each powder packet in a cup and mix thoroughly with the correct amount of water. Multiple packets may be mixed together with the appropriate amount of water. Check with your doctor if you have questions about how much water to add.
- The powder does not dissolve and, therefore, it should be stirred vigorously just before drinking. The entire preparation should be consumed within 30 minutes.
- Renvela powder packets may bind with other medicines, reducing the amount your body can absorb and use. If you are taking other medicines, check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you need to take them at some other time than Renvela powder packets.
- Continue to take Renvela powder packets even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Renvela powder packets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Renvela powder packets.
Important safety information:
- Renvela powder packets may reduce certain vitamins in your body. Check with your doctor about whether or not you should take a vitamin supplement while you take Renvela powder packets.
- Follow the diet program given to you by your health care provider.
- Lab tests, including calcium, bicarbonate, phosphate, and chloride blood levels, may be performed while you use Renvela powder packets. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Renvela powder packets while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Renvela powder packets, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Renvela powder packets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; gas; indigestion; mild stomach pain; nausea; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); severe or persistent constipation or stomach pain.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Renvela powder packets:
Store Renvela powder packets at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store in the original packaging. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Do not use after the expiration date. Keep Renvela powder packets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Renvela powder packets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Renvela powder packets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Renvela powder packets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Renvela powder packets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Renvela powder packets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Renvela powder packets.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Renvela (sevelamer)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 4 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: phosphate binders
Other brands: Renagel