Generic Name: Rasburicase (ras BYOOR i kayse)
Brand Name: Elitek
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 1, 2019.
- Unsafe and sometimes deadly allergic effects with organ failure may happen with rasburicase. Tell your doctor about any fever, rash, feeling tired, upset stomach, throwing up, diarrhea, stomach pain, flu-like signs, sore throat, cough, or trouble breathing. Do not restart rasburicase if you have had an allergic reaction.
- This medicine may cause unsafe red blood cell problems called hemolysis and methemoglobinemia. If either of these health problems happens with rasburicase, do not take rasburicase again. Talk with your doctor.
- People with an enzyme deficiency called G6PD deficiency may have more chance of getting hemolysis. Do not take rasburicase if you have G6PD deficiency. You may need to be screened for G6PD deficiency before taking rasburicase. Talk with your doctor.
- This medicine may affect certain lab tests. Tell all of your health care providers and lab workers that you take rasburicase.
Uses of Rasburicase:
- It is used to treat or prevent high uric acid levels during chemo.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Rasburicase?
- If you have an allergy to rasburicase or any other part of rasburicase.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take rasburicase with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Rasburicase?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take rasburicase. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using rasburicase while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Rasburicase) best taken?
Use rasburicase as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as an infusion into a vein over a period of time.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of methemoglobinemia like a blue or gray color of the lips, nails, or skin; a heartbeat that does not feel normal; seizures; very bad dizziness or passing out; very bad headache; feeling very sleepy; feeling tired or weak; or shortness of breath. This effect is rare but may be deadly if it happens.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Shortness of breath.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Yellow skin or eyes.
- Dark urine.
- Pale skin.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
- Coughing up blood.
What are some other side effects of Rasburicase?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Belly pain.
- Sore throat.
- Mouth irritation or mouth sores.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
How do I store and/or throw out Rasburicase?
- If you need to store rasburicase at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about rasburicase, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
More about rasburicase
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- Drug class: antihyperuricemic agents
Other brands: Elitek