The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Prenatal + DHA powder packets
Generic Name: prenatal multivitamin with minerals, iron, folic acid, and dha (pree-NATE-al VYE-ta-mins)
Brand Name: Prenatal + DHA
Accidental overdose of products that contain iron is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years old. Keep this and all medicines out of the reach of children. In case of accidental ingestion, call the poison control center or doctor at once.
Prenatal + DHA powder packets are used for:
Treating or preventing a lack of vitamins during pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Prenatal + DHA powder packets are a vitamin and mineral combination. It works by providing vitamins and minerals to the body to help meet nutritional requirements.
Do NOT use Prenatal + DHA powder packets if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Prenatal + DHA powder packets
- you have high blood iron levels, hemochromatosis (an iron metabolism problem), Wilson disease (a copper metabolism problem), or certain bleeding problems (eg, hemophilia)
- you are taking acitretin or an anticoagulant (eg, warfarin)
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Prenatal + DHA powder packets:
Some medical conditions may interact with Prenatal + DHA powder packets. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances (including fish or fish oil)
- if you have stomach or intestinal problems (eg, peptic ulcer, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), blood problems (eg, pernicious anemia, other types of anemia, porphyria), or a history of kidney stones
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Prenatal + DHA powder packets. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because the risk of bleeding may be increased by Prenatal + DHA powder packets
- Acitretin, cation exchange resins (eg, sodium polystyrene sulfonate), or fluorouracil because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Prenatal + DHA powder packets
- Doxycycline, hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), penicillamine, or thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because their effectiveness may be decreased by Prenatal + DHA powder packets
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Prenatal + DHA powder packets may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Prenatal + DHA powder packets:
Use Prenatal + DHA powder packets as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Check with your doctor or pharmacist to see if you should take Prenatal + DHA powder packets with food or on an empty stomach. If stomach upset occurs, take with food to reduce stomach irritation.
- Dissolve contents of the packet in 8 to 12 oz (240 to 360 mL) cold water. Allow the powder to dissolve completely, then drink all of the liquid. Rinse the container with an additional small amount of water and drink the contents to ensure the entire dose is taken.
- Avoid taking Prenatal + DHA powder packets with dairy products; they may interfere with the absorption of the iron in Prenatal + DHA powder packets.
- If you also take an antacid, bisphosphonate (eg, alendronate), cefdinir, eltrombopag, methyldopa, quinolone antibiotic (eg, ciprofloxacin), or tetracycline antibiotic (eg, minocycline), ask your doctor or pharmacist how to take it with Prenatal + DHA powder packets.
- If you miss a dose of Prenatal + DHA powder packets, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Prenatal + DHA powder packets.
Important safety information:
- Do not take more than the recommended dose of Prenatal + DHA powder packets without checking with your doctor.
- Prenatal + DHA powder packets may discolor the stools. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
- Prenatal + DHA powder packets has iron in it. Iron overdose is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children younger than 6 years of age. In case of an overdose, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Prenatal + DHA powder packets are intended for use during pregnancy and breast-feeding. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Prenatal + DHA powder packets, check with your doctor.
Possible side effects of Prenatal + DHA powder packets:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; dark or discolored stools; diarrhea; nausea; stomach upset; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); black, tarry stools; blood or streaks of blood in the stools; stomach pain or cramping.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include black, tarry stools; chest pain; lack of feeling alert; loss of balance; seizure; severe nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain; shortness of breath; sluggishness; trouble breathing; unusual tiredness or weakness; unusually pale skin; weak pulse.Proper storage of Prenatal + DHA powder packets:
Store Prenatal + DHA powder packets at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Prenatal + DHA powder packets out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Prenatal + DHA powder packets, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Prenatal + DHA powder packets are to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Prenatal + DHA powder packets or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Prenatal + DHA powder packets. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Prenatal + DHA powder packets. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Prenatal + DHA powder packets.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.