The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Generic Name: mexiletine (mex-IL-e-teen)
Brand Name: Mexitil
Because Mexitil may cause an irregular heartbeat in some patients, it should only be used to treat life-threatening irregular heartbeat.
Mexitil is used for:
Treating certain types of life-threatening irregular heartbeat.
Mexitil is an antiarrhythmic. It works by stabilizing the heart rhythm, which helps keep the heart from beating too fast or in an irregular rhythm.
Do NOT use Mexitil if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Mexitil
- you have cardiogenic shock or second- or third-degree atrioventricular (AV) block and do not have a pacemaker
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Mexitil:
Some medical conditions may interact with Mexitil. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have other heart problems (eg, heart block or AV block, conductions problems), congestive heart failure, or a pacemaker
- if you have low blood pressure, liver problems, or a seizure disorder
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Mexitil. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Cimetidine because the side effects of Mexitil may be increased
- Hydantoins (eg, phenytoin), phenobarbital, or rifampin because the effectiveness of Mexitil may be decreased
- Caffeine, lidocaine, or theophylline because side effects may be increased by Mexitil
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Mexitil may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Mexitil:
Use Mexitil as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Take Mexitil with food or antacids.
- Take Mexitil regularly to receive the most benefit from it. Taking Mexitil at the same time each day will help you remember to take it.
- Continue to use Mexitil even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of Mexitil, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Mexitil.
Important safety information:
- Mexitil may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, or blurred vision. Do not drive, operate machinery, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how you react to Mexitil. Using Mexitil alone, with certain other medicines, or with alcohol may lessen your ability to drive or perform other potentially dangerous tasks.
- Do not suddenly stop taking Mexitil without checking with your doctor.
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Mexitil.
- LAB TESTS, including liver and heart function, may be performed to monitor your progress or to check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Mexitil with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Mexitil, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Mexitil during pregnancy. Mexitil is excreted in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Mexitil.
Possible side effects of Mexitil:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Blurred vision; clumsiness; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness or lightheadedness; headache; heartburn; incoordination; nausea; nervousness; stomach discomfort; tremor; vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision or other vision problems; chest pain; fainting; fever; irregular, fast, or slow heartbeat; severe dizziness or lightheadedness; severe stomach pain; sore throat; yellowing of the skin or eyes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include coma; fainting; heart attack; seizures; severe dizziness or lightheadedness; severe nausea and vomiting; severe slow or irregular heartbeat; unusual numbness or tingling.Proper storage of Mexitil:
Store Mexitil below 86 degrees F (30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Mexitil out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Mexitil, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Mexitil is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Mexitil or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Mexitil. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Mexitil. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Mexitil.