Generic name: Levocarnitine Oral Solution [ lee-voe-KAR-ni-teen ]
Brand names: Carnitor, Carnitor SF
Drug class: Nutraceutical products
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 13, 2023.
Uses of Levocarnitine Oral Solution:
- It is used to treat carnitine deficiencies.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Levocarnitine Oral Solution?
- If you have an allergy to levocarnitine or any other part of levocarnitine oral solution.
- If you are allergic to levocarnitine oral solution; any part of levocarnitine oral solution; or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take levocarnitine oral solution with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Levocarnitine Oral Solution?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take levocarnitine oral solution. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using levocarnitine oral solution while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Levocarnitine Oral Solution) best taken?
Use levocarnitine oral solution as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Keep taking levocarnitine oral solution as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take during or after meals.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with levocarnitine oral solution. If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure levocarnitine oral solution.
- This medicine may be taken alone or it may be mixed in a drink or other liquid food.
- To avoid stomach problems, drink slowly. It may also help to mix in more liquid.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Muscle pain or weakness.
What are some other side effects of Levocarnitine Oral Solution?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Body odor.
- Stomach cramps.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Levocarnitine Oral Solution?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about levocarnitine oral solution, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about levocarnitine
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (3)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: nutraceutical products
- En español
- Drug Information
- Levocarnitine (Advanced Reading)
- Levocarnitine Capsules and Tablets
- Levocarnitine Injection Solution
L-Carnitine, Carnitor, Carnitor SF
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.