Generic Name: fluocinolone acetonide (FLOO-oh-SIN-oh-lone a-SEET-oh-nide)
Brand Name: Iluvien
Iluvien implant is used for:
Treating an eye problem caused by diabetes (macular edema). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Iluvien implant is a corticosteroid. Exactly how it works is not known. It may decrease the production of certain substances that cause inflammation.
Do NOT use Iluvien implant if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Iluvien implant
- you have an eye infection
- you have glaucoma
- you have a history of herpes simplex of the eye
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Iluvien implant:
Some medical conditions may interact with Iluvien implant. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have other eye problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Iluvien implant. Because little, if any, of Iluvien implant is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if Iluvien implant may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Iluvien implant:
Use Iluvien implant as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Iluvien implant will be surgically implanted into the eye at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- If you miss your appointment, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Iluvien implant.
Important safety information:
- Iluvien implant may cause blurred vision after you get the injection. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until this goes away.
- Cataracts, swelling, increased eye pressure, and glaucoma have happened with the use of similar medicines. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- After implantation of Iluvien implant, follow-up eye exams will be required. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Iluvien implant while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Iluvien implant, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Iluvien implant:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Headache; temporary blurred vision after the injection.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); change in the amount of urine produced; eye pain or redness; if bright lights bother your eyes; severe or persistent eye irritation; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Iluvien implant:
Iluvien implant is handled and stored by a health care provider. You will not store it at home. Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Iluvien implant, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Iluvien implant is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Iluvien implant or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Iluvien implant. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Iluvien implant. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Iluvien implant.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Iluvien (fluocinolone ophthalmic)
- Other brands: Retisert