Generic Name: fosaprepitant (FOS-a-PRE-pi-tant)
Brand Name: Emend
Emend Injection is used for:
Preventing nausea and vomiting caused by certain types of cancer medicines (chemotherapy). It is used in combination with other medicines. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Emend Injection is an antiemetic. It works by blocking certain substances in the brain, which helps to prevent nausea and vomiting.
Do NOT use Emend Injection if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Emend Injection, to aprepitant, or to polysorbate 80
- you are taking bosutinib, cisapride, lomitapide, pimozide, or tolvaptan
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Emend Injection:
Some medical conditions may interact with Emend Injection. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have liver problems
- if you currently have nausea or vomiting
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Emend Injection. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Many prescription and nonprescription medicines (eg, used for allergies, anxiety, birth control, blood thinning, cancer, chest pain, cystic fibrosis, depression or other mental or mood problems, erectile dysfunction, gout, high blood pressure, HIV, immune system suppression, infections, inflammation, irregular heartbeat or other heart problems, pain, seizures), multivitamin products, or herbal or dietary supplements because they may interact with Emend Injection. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are unsure if any of your medicines might interact with Emend Injection
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Emend Injection may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Emend Injection:
Use Emend Injection as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Emend Injection. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Tell your doctor if you already have nausea or vomiting before you receive Emend Injection.
- This medicine is usually given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic 30 minutes before chemotherapy treatment.
- If you miss a dose of Emend Injection, contact your doctor immediately.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Emend Injection.
Important safety information:
- Emend Injection may cause dizziness. These effects may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Emend Injection with caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it.
- Hormonal birth control (eg, birth control pills) may not work as well while you are using Emend Injection. To prevent pregnancy, be sure to use an extra form of birth control (eg, condoms) while using Emend Injection and for 1 month following the last dose of Emend Injection.
- Lab tests, including liver function, may be performed while you use Emend Injection. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Emend Injection with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Emend Injection while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Emend Injection.
Possible side effects of Emend Injection:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Belching; constipation; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; hiccups; loss of appetite; tiredness; upset stomach; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); confusion; difficult, decreased, or increased urination; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; flushing; mental or mood changes (eg, depression); pain, hardness, redness, or itching at the injection site; pain, redness, or swelling in the legs; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; severe or persistent heartburn or stomach pain; severe rash with fever, mouth sores, or red and irritated eyes; shortness of breath; signs of infection (eg, fever, chills, persistent sore throat); soreness of the mouth or tongue; strong urge to urinate.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center (http://www.aapcc.org), or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include drowsiness; headache.Proper storage of Emend Injection:
Emend Injection is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. Keep Emend Injection out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Emend Injection, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Emend Injection is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Emend Injection or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Emend Injection. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Emend Injection. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Emend Injection.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about fosaprepitant
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- En Español
- 1 Review – Add your own review/rating
Other brands: Emend for Injection