Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 11, 2021.
Uses of DermaMed:
- It is used to treat heartburn and upset stomach.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take DermaMed?
- If you are allergic to DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide); any part of DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take DermaMed?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not take DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide) for longer than you were told by your doctor.
- This medicine may prevent other drugs taken by mouth from getting into the body. If you take other drugs by mouth, you may need to take them at some other time than DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide). Talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (DermaMed) best taken?
Use DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide) after meals and at bedtime or as you have been told by your doctor.
- Shake well before use.
- Measure liquid doses carefully. Use the measuring device that comes with DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide). If there is none, ask the pharmacist for a device to measure DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide).
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of DermaMed?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out DermaMed?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep lid tightly closed.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about DermaMed (aluminum hydroxide), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about aluminum hydroxide
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: antacids
- Other brands
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.