Generic Name: desmopressin (DES-moe-PRES-in)
Brand Name: DDAVP
DDAVP solution is used for:
Managing bleeding in patients with certain bleeding disorders (eg, hemophilia A, type I von Willebrand disease). It is also used to manage temporarily increased thirst and urination caused by head injury or certain types of brain surgery, or to manage certain types of diabetes (cranial diabetes insipidus). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
DDAVP solution is an antidiuretic hormone. It works by causing the kidneys to produce less urine.
Do NOT use DDAVP solution if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in DDAVP solution
- you have moderate to severe kidney problems
- you have type IIB von Willebrand disease
- you have or have a history of low blood sodium levels
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using DDAVP solution:
Some medical conditions may interact with DDAVP solution. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have severe drowsiness
- if you have a history of kidney problems, heart attack or other heart problems (eg, heart blood vessel problems, heart failure), blood clots (eg, in the legs, lungs, or eyes), blood circulation problems, stroke, high or low blood pressure, blood electrolyte problems (eg, low blood sodium levels), swelling or fluid retention, or a condition that causes you to be very thirsty
- if you have cystic fibrosis, dehydration, fever, severe infection, or vomiting or diarrhea
- if you are exposed to very hot weather, are physically active, or drink a lot of water or fluids
- if you have recently had surgery in the head area
- if you take antihistamines (eg, diphenhydramine) or medicines to treat blood pressure or heart problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with DDAVP solution. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Carbamazepine, chlorpromazine, lamotrigine, narcotic analgesics (eg, codeine), nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (eg, ibuprofen), oxybutynin, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine) because the risk of fluid overload with low blood sodium levels may be increased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if DDAVP solution may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use DDAVP solution:
Use DDAVP solution as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- DDAVP solution is given as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- If you miss a dose of DDAVP solution, call your doctor to find out what to do.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use DDAVP solution.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take DDAVP solution before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Low blood sodium levels have rarely happened with DDAVP solution. if not treated, this can be fatal. Follow the fluid intake instructions given to you by your health care provider very carefully. Serious side effects may occur if you drink too much liquid while taking DDAVP solution.
- Check with your doctor if you experience infection, fever, vomiting, or diarrhea. Tell your doctor if you will be exposed to very hot weather, will be physically active, or will be increasing your water intake for any reason. The risk of low blood sodium levels may be increased.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Serious and sometimes fatal allergic reactions have rarely happened. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use DDAVP solution. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use DDAVP solution with caution in the ELDERLY and in CHILDREN; they may be more sensitive to its effects, especially fluid overload and low blood sodium levels. Carefully follow the fluid intake instructions given to you by your doctor.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using DDAVP solution while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using DDAVP solution, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of DDAVP solution:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. No COMMON side effects have been reported with DDAVP solution. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); burning, redness, swelling, or pain at the injection site; chest pain or pressure; coughing up blood; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; numbness of an arm or leg; one-sided weakness; severe or persistent dizziness or headache; shortness of breath; slurred speech; swelling, warmth, numbness, change of color, or pain in a leg or arm; symptoms of low blood sodium levels (eg, confusion; hallucinations; loss of appetite; mental or mood changes; muscle weakness, spasms, or cramps; nausea; passing out; seizures; unusual headache or restlessness; unusual tiredness or sluggishness; unusual weight gain; vomiting); vision problems.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of DDAVP solution:
DDAVP solution is handled and stored by a health care provider. You will not store it at home. Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about DDAVP solution, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- DDAVP solution is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take DDAVP solution or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about DDAVP solution. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to DDAVP solution. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using DDAVP solution.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about DDAVP (desmopressin)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 9 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: antidiuretic hormones