Bacitracin/ hydrocortisone/ neomycin/ polymyxin ointment
Generic Name: bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin (BAS-i-TRAY-sin/HYE-droe-KOR-ti-sone/NEE-oh-MYE-sin/POL-ee-MIX-in)
Brand Name: Cortisporin
Bacitracin/ hydrocortisone/ neomycin/ polymyxin ointment is used for:
Treating steroid-sensitive skin disorders that have a secondary infection caused by bacteria.
Bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment is a combination of 3 antibiotics and a corticosteroid. The antibiotics kill the bacteria and hydrocortisone reduces inflammation.
Do NOT use bacitracin/ hydrocortisone/ neomycin/ polymyxin ointment if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment
- you have a fungal (eg, ringworm), viral (eg, herpes simplex, chickenpox), or tuberculosis (TB) infection of the skin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using bacitracin/ hydrocortisone/ neomycin/ polymyxin ointment:
Some medical conditions may interact with bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have recently received or will be receiving a vaccine, or you have had a positive TB skin test
- if you have thinning of the skin
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment. Because little, if any, of bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment is absorbed into the blood, the risk of it interacting with another medicine is low.
Ask your health care provider if bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use bacitracin/ hydrocortisone/ neomycin/ polymyxin ointment:
Use bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment is for external use only. Avoid contact with the eyes.
- Before using bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment, clean the affected area. Apply a small amount of bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment (an amount equal to the surface of the tip of a finger) on the area as directed. The treated area may be covered with a clean bandage.
- To clear up your infection completely, use bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment, use it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment.
Important safety information:
- Bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment only works against bacteria; it does not treat viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Be sure to use bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The bacteria could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- If your symptoms do not get better within 7 days or if they get worse, check with your doctor.
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Long-term or repeated use of bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment may cause a second infection. Tell your doctor if signs of a second infection occur. Your medicine may need to be changed to treat this.
- Bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN; safety and effectiveness in children have not been confirmed.
- Corticosteroids may affect growth rate in CHILDREN and teenagers in some cases. They may need regular growth checks while they use bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of bacitracin/ hydrocortisone/ neomycin/ polymyxin ointment:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Burning, dryness, or itching of skin; worsening of condition.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); hearing or kidney problems; second infection.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment:
Store bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment at room temperature, between 59 and 77 degrees F (15 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Keep bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin ointment.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about bacitracin/hydrocortisone/neomycin/polymyxin b topical
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Interactions
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: topical steroids with anti-infectives
Other brands: Cortisporin Ointment