Generic Name: Donepezil Orally Disintegrating Tablets (doh NEP e zil)
Brand Name: Aricept ODT
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 11, 2019.
Uses of Aricept ODT:
- It is used to treat dementia in people with Alzheimer's disease.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Aricept ODT?
- If you have an allergy to donepezil or any other part of Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets).
- If you are allergic to Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets); any part of Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Aricept ODT?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine is not a cure for Alzheimer's disease. Stay under the care of your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Aricept ODT) best taken?
Use Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Keep taking Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
- Take Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets) at bedtime.
- Take with or without food.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Wash and dry your hands before you take Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets). Do not touch the tablet with wet or damp hands.
- Place on the tongue and let dissolve.
- Do not swallow it whole.
- Do not take Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets) out of the blister pack until you are ready to take it. Take Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets) right away after opening the blister pack. Do not store the removed drug for future use.
- Drink a glass of water after the tablet has dissolved.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you miss 7 days of Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets), call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Very bad dizziness or passing out.
- Slow heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Trouble passing urine.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Trouble breathing that is new or worse.
What are some other side effects of Aricept ODT?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling dizzy, tired, or weak.
- Diarrhea, upset stomach, or throwing up.
- Trouble sleeping.
- Muscle cramps.
- Not hungry.
- Weight loss.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Aricept ODT?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Aricept ODT (donepezil orally disintegrating tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Aricept ODT (donepezil)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- En Español
- 2 Reviews
- Drug class: cholinesterase inhibitors