Can you take ibuprofen with prednisone?

kaismama 15 May 2014

No they will tear up your stomach, for one thing. You need to avoid it while on prednisone. They do the same thing. You don't need both.

dakmaknk 15 May 2014

Then why pay for a script if ibuprophen does the same. wouldn't there be less side effects when you stop. Prednisone is terribly when you stop especially with no taper down which you usually do not get if you only take it for a week.

endlessPred 21 May 2014

Hey DAKMAK. You misunderstand. Prednisone is a steroid used for inflammation and depressing immune responses. Ibuprofen is a pain killer the is a non steroidal medication. Either one of these can really create stomach problems. Taking both together guarantees bad stomach problems. Both need to be taken with food to save the lining of your stomach. It says so in the bottles. Both are rarely given during the same time one is being treated and both have different jobs in the body,

suzanne66 19 May 2014

You shouldn’t take ibuprofen with prednisone unless your doctor has told you to do so. The two together increase the risk of a stomach or duodenal ulcer developing. Some doctors may combine a low dose of prednisone with ibuprofen or any other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug for a very short time but usually consider adding a proton pump inhibitor (eg. Prilosec) to reduce the risk of ulcer. It is best to take prednisone and ibuprofen with a meal to help minimize gastric irritation.

SHEsevEN4 19 Jan 2015

You don't need to take any ( NSAID'S ) with prednisone unless directed by your Doctor, it can cause a ulcer and other side effects.

Mandaboo 12 Dec 2016

I gave my 14 yr old son ibproben for his fever and he is on a 5mg of prednisone for 5 days. I have read it will mess his stomach up and I don't want to do that so what can I give him to take the fever away that's ok to take with the prednisone

Gimpster3400 16 Dec 2016

Paracetamol

Dcav72 17 days ago

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is safe to take while taking Prednisone. It is used to reduce fevers or as a pain reliever.

callen12 14 days ago

My doctor told me I have lupus 3 years ago.I have been on prednisone from that time until now.I am tired and weak everyday.What can I do to reduce the tiredness and weakness