Should xanax be taken with food or on empty stomach for best results?

DzooBaby 24 Jan 2013

I dont think it really matters with Xanax. If taking it on an empty stomach gives you stomach pain or nausea then take it with food. When you take drugs on an empty stomach they may enter the bloodstream slightly faster but it shouldn't change the effectiveness of the drug. Just be sure to never take it and drink alcohol in the same day. Xanax can also make some people sleepy so see how it affects you before driving or operating machinery etc.

Curioustono 30 Dec 2014

Why can you not have a glass of wine before bed if you take zanax

Joe3390 6 Feb 2015

Curioustono you can, You just need to be super careful when drinking while on any benzodiazepine. From personal experience it is dangerous!! Always have someone with you to "babysit" if you ever drink too much while on any benzo, but one or two glasses (moderate amount) of wine or any alcohol with a prescribed dose (non abusing dose) should usually be fine for most people.

Anonymous 25 Jan 2013

I agree with DzooBaby, I just wanted to add, if your taking it for anxiety or panic attacks, then you would, of course take one at the beginning of an attack, and like she said, it wouldn't matter, especially to stop an attack. I take klonopin for anxiety/panick disorder, however my dr. Has written just a few Xanax in case I start having a major attack, and Xanax kicks in faster. Good luck to you, and many blessings, Ruthie

Sharris68 25 Jan 2013

Thanks for the input!

Anonymous 25 Jan 2013

You're welcome hon, and welcome. Thats what we're here for. To help any kind of question. I've been on here a little over two years, and I was dumb as a duck. If ducks are really dumb. lol. I've learned so much just by reading the answer's people give to questions written in. It's a wonderful site. You can ask anything. Like our teachers told us in gradeschool... there isn't a stupid question. Your Friend, ruthie

endlessPred 25 Jan 2013

Doesn't matter. I take it with breakfast and a handful of other meds. Works just fine. When I was taking three per day I took the middle one in the afternoon with water. It doesn't upset the stomach and dissolves quickly so be sure you drink a full glass so it doesn't stick in the throat. It becomes effective quickly.

cgulledge 12 Jan 2015

So know one here actually answered the answere. Swim wants to know if he takes his xanax on empty stomach if it would hit him/her stronger?