Will Trazodone work right away or do you have to take it for weeks before effects?

Anonymous 28 Jul 2011

Hello wscott. Not certain if its being. prescribed for depression or insomnia. As far as working as an anti-depressant, it will take about four weeks. As far as sedation, usually within several days. Tradazone is almost always taken at bedtime, because it will make you sleepy. Its popular as far as being used for that purpose, to help you sleep. Usual dose to begin with is 50mg, then its upped accordingly. I was on it, as far as helping me to sleep, was tolerable, as far as helping me in my depression, it was a failure. best wishes to you.

smileyhappy 28 Jul 2011

Hi wscott,
I started trazodone in 2007. It only took a few days to work for sleep. It works as well now as when I started. Hope this helps!

HPoole 28 Jul 2011

FOR SLEEP i am on 400mg of trazodone every night at bedtime. Trazodone should work immediately, but it has a 15min time frame after it kicks in. if you don't lay down within that time, it tends to have the opposite effect sometimes. Your dose must be too low. my dr. says the dose maxes out at 400. However if you don't find it effective, you may need to switch to a different group of meds--benzodiazepines--commonly reffered to as the benzos. These include xanax, ativan, klonipin, etc... the benzos used for sleep are usually: restoril, librium, dalmane, valium, etc. I didn't find lunesta or ambien helpful at all. trazodone is usually the first choice of every doctor for insomnia because it has the least amount of side effects and kind of a generic for everyone and inexpensive. i'd suggest to your dr. the benzo group and see if they are willing to prescribe one of those. i take xanax and love how it works.

Anonymous 28 Jul 2011

I was given trazadone to help me sleep for my fibromyalgia. It was helpful right away at 50mg., but had to up it to 100mg after a while to get the same effect. Then after a while on that dose it became ineffective again. I believe as my friend Pledge states it may depend on what you are taking it for also. Everyone is different, & therefore may react differently to the amount of the dose, & what condition you are using it for...