Will drinking alcohol make me sick, while taking naltrexone?

LaurieShay 22 May 2011

Hey sandman,

No, it will not cause you to become sick immediately as in nauseated or vomit, but there is the following warning:

naltrexone ↔ ethanol

Applies to: naltrexone, Alcohol (contained in alcoholic beverages) (ethanol)

GENERALLY AVOID: Coadministration of naltrexone with other agents known to induce hepatotoxicity may potentiate the risk of liver injury. Naltrexone, especially in larger than recommended doses (more than 50 mg/day), has been associated with hepatocellular injury, hepatitis, and elevations in liver transaminases and bilirubin.

ASimon27 26 Jun 2017

YES!! I became violently ill after a heavy night of drinking on Naltrexone. Dizzy, massive headache, sweats, extreme nausea and projectile vomiting. Worst sickness I can remember. However, I can't seem to find anything on the web that says it will make you sick.

Shinysox 10 Sep 2017

I am on a combination of 50 mg of Naltrexone and 666 mgs of Campral daily. I drank tonight for the first time after being abstinent for over 2 1/2 months. I decided to indulge and "gather more research" as they say. My findings: drinking is just not as pleasurable as it was before. I had 2 generous glasses of white wine and found that I did not like the taste of it and it made me mildly queasy. I used to be a hardcore binge drinker who thought nothing of consuming 2 large bottles of wine and following it up with a 6 pack. This just is not fun and I feel little incentive to do it again. Leave it to Big Pharma to recalibrate my brain.