Can I drink alcohol while taking naltrexone. Will the alcohol affect me?

Delila 2 Apr 2016

The Naltrexone will lower you tolerance to alcohol and make the experience less pleasurable. You will also experience hangovers more easily. You shouldn't drink heavily whilst taking Naltrexone, but drinking at low levels is 'acceptable'

everly joy emely 12 Apr 2016

No. I would highly not recommend it,due to the fact that each person has a different tolerance level. I have no mom due to this fact.

brokethechains 10 Sep 2018

You absolutely can, and SHOULD!!! It took me a year to figure out that you are supposed to take this medication EVEN if you relapse. I used to stop taking it if I relapsed. I recently relapsed and continued taking the medication. Let me first say that I have not taken a drink without ending up in a detox for at least 5 years. Recently I had a relapse while on the medication. I bought 3 high alcohol beverages, drank two and did not drink the 3rd. That in itself is a miracle. I had no cravings to drink in the morning, again, unbelievable. I took my dose that day and then drank the 3rd that night. I haven't drank anything for a week. I did get a buzzed feeling, but it is different. I had none of the accelerated drinking that is usual for me. I drank two, got a slight buzz and then chilled and went to sleep. You don't get the dopamine rush that drives the obsession to drink more. I have long said that AA does not help me.