What is the lethal dose of seconal sodium? How long is the shelf life of pills?

RemSupreme 9 Dec 2010

The lethal dose for Seconal (secobarbital) is 1.5gm. The reason barbiturates are very dangerous and hardly prescribed anymore is that you can build a tolerance to near 1.5gm (1500 mg) and then it will kill you, and since it comes in 100 mg capsules 15 capsules will kill you even if you have been taking 1400 mg for months and take just 1 or 2 more while your head isn't right and you will end up dead. And other drugs, especially Demerol, boost it up so you need less than 1500mg if taken with Demerol to kill you because of the boost factor. This is why benzodiazipines replaced most of the barbiturates in the 70's because you have to take a lot more than 15 pills to overdose on benzos, and they are considered safer and less addicting than barbiturates.Hope this helps.

freddy in la 1 Apr 2011

I have taken over 30 pills with alcohol.
I am still here.

msbigred 2 Jun 2011

Freddy, you are pushing your luck.

mequin 10 Jul 2011

He might be pushing his luck, but he probably doesn;t anymore. I've taken more than 15, at that point, I forget how many more, not too much because i couldn't walk. I didn't mix them with alcohol, and I remember other people doing that many. 15 is 1.5 grams, that kind of threw me off, I'm thinking, two? i get prescribed 2.

mequin 10 Jul 2011

rcinpc54 21 Mar 2013

There is a documentary "How to Die in Oregon", on PBS, and HBO. The lady assisting says there are "100" capsules of Seconal that the man had filled and to break open and empty ALL the powder from the capsules in 6 oz. of room temp. water. This drink then HAS to be comsumed within 60-90 seconds. One guy likens the taste to "wood". You can then wash down the aftertaste with whatever you like (soda, juice, even beer!). A coma ensues within a couple of minutes, death sometime shortly afterward. They don't say how much each capsule contains. Don't know the shelflife, cuz if I have a terminal disease, I'm taking it shortly after having perscription filled!! Sorry if this offends anyone's morals, not getting into that debate.