What is the difference between oxycodone HCL 5 mg and percocets 5 mg?

DzooBaby 9 Jan 2012

Both drugs contain the opioid pain reliever oxycodone 5mg but Percocet also contains 325mg of acetaminophen along with the oxycodone. The oxycodone HCL is oxycodone alone.

Kten 11 Jan 2012

Thank you, that is what I thought but I wanted to make sure. The question was asked because od drug screening test I might hsve. I get oxycodone 5 mg prescribed, but wanted to know thast if I took a percocet it would be ok if i had a drug pee test. Now that Iknow this i will not worry about failing a pee test again. Thank you, Kten

tracitropics 30 Apr 2012

Actually, no, sorry your wrong, hcl simply means Hydrochloric Acid which is common in a lot of different prescriptions... oxycodone hcl still has the acetaminophen as well it simply has Hydrochloric Acid (hcl) which is used in prescriptions binded to the drug itself. It helps to overcome digestive acids in the stomach.

tracitropics 30 Apr 2012

oh and one other thing, to answer the persons question about what is the difference the only difference is that percocet is a brand name and the other one is generic, percocet is like the name tylonol and nothing more. hope this answers your question, either way both are oxycodone in the exact same form.

chennessey14 10 Sep 2016

To be completely clear, Oxycodone HCL is an opioid pain reliever. Percocet is a specific trade name for a tablet that contains Oxycodone HCL and Acetaminophen (trade name: Tylenol) in 2.5/325, 5/325, 7.5/325, and 10/325 proportions (mg oxycodone HCL/mg Acetaminophen).

chennessey14 10 Sep 2016

Slight correction: Oxycodone is the opioid pain reliever. Oxycodone is typically combined with hydrochloric acid, hence the name oxycodone HCL (oxycodone hydrochloride) for tablets that do not contain acetaminophen.

Willa1959 18 May 2017

Is oxycodone HCL 5 The same as percoets

LRP12121212 7 days ago

No, absolutely not. Oxycodone HCL is a very small pill and you can tell obviously by the fact that it is so tiny and small there's no way it can contain 325 mg of Tylenol. Percocet however is very big comparatively speaking and about the same size as the 325 Tylenol.

If everyone is confused the simplest way is to look at the size, if it's a very small tiny pill than its oxycodone HCL or possibly OxyContin ( nothing more than a time released version of oxycodone) and does not contain anything else. If it's a larger white pill then it has Tylenol in it :)

The reason this information is so complicated and confusing is because of people who do not know them selves but yet feel the need to think they know something and make comments and replies about subject matter they have no clue about and why these individuals feel the need to share knowledge they do not contain is beyond my imagination!!!

LRP12121212 7 days ago

Sorry my reply may have been a little confusing as I assumed something I should not have assumed. Here is the more simpler version :)

ALL Percocets contain Tylenol along with Oxycodone and will be a large pill basically resembling the same size as the 325 mg Tylenol.

ALL Oxycodone HCL ( everyone needs to ignore the HCL it's meaningless) will be in either one of two versions.

Just plain every day Oxycodone OR Oxycodone mixed in with some type of substance that will delay the release and as such, is an "extended release" Oxycodone which is referred to as OxyContin.

So there are only THREE things more or less in the world of oxycodone.

So you have either a Percocet, Oxycodone or OxyContin. That's it forever and ever and should not be as confusing as it is but as I say some will start talking about HCL, some people start saying things that they just really shouldn't and it has all led to do nothing more than muddy the water!!!