Wellbutrin IR? anyone taken Wellbutrin IR and if so how is the different in effect from SR or XL?

G Mc 28 Jul 2017

Hi Luke!
Bupropion IR is usually taken 2 or 3 times per day with 4-6 hours between doses. Wellbutrin SR means that the dose of Bupropion is slowly released into the body throughout the day with the goal of maintaining a constant drug concentration in the bloodstream. Wellbutrin XL releases the dose for an extended period of time in a day. The SR formulation is slowly released in 12 hours while the XL doses are released for a period of 24 hours.
The dosing recommendations for both Wellbutrin formulations also differ since both drug delivery systems are controlled by time. Wellbutrin SR is initially given as 150mg once daily, and after 4 days the dose can be increased to twice daily to achieve a constant drug concentration in the blood. On the other hand, the extended release form is usually given once a day since the dose is being released in a 24-hour time frame.

G Mc 28 Jul 2017

Let me add: Wellbutrin IR is not prescribed as much SR or XL anymore, because of the inconvenience of having to take it (usually) three times a day. Since the SR and the XL are time-released, they keep steady blood levels more effectively than the IR "instant release". IR is dumped into your bloodstream shortly after each dose is taken, rather than being released over a controlled period of time.

luke uno 29 Jul 2017

Since the faster release formula works better then I'm assuming IR would be even better. I don't see a point in long acting stimulants

G Mc 29 Jul 2017

The downside of the immediate release is that too much of it goes into your system at once, which can intensify a person's anxiety level at certain times, instead of being released into your system in a manner which allows the medication to be absorbed in a steady stream into your system, such as the SR and the XL. Just because it is "immediate release", there is no advantage of it over the time released Wellbutrin. Either way, it still takes 4-6 weeks to start working. It has to be taken 3 times a day, and a person has to space the doses out and remember to take them at the same time each day. The literature says that the time release was a more improved version over the old instant release that was released to the public in 1986. I don't think it is prescribed very often anymore, foe all of the above reasons. But you can tell your doctor if that is what you think you would prefer to take.

chuck1957 28 Jul 2017

Thanks Gmc THAT IS VERY CLEAR. AND THIS IS WHY THE IR IS REALLY NOT USED THAT MUCH BECAUSE THE OTHERS ARE VERY CONVENIENT. And easy to take. plus not having to remember every 4 to 6 hours which most of us can't lol have a good weekend all

G Mc 28 Jul 2017

Hiya Chuck, good to see ya! Hope you're feeling good.

Mariabou 11 May 2018

Wellbutrin IR is the only formulation that works for me. I cannot tolerate the side effects of the SR and XL versions. Both make me so fatigued I'm tired after walking up a flight of stairs (and I am otherwise very healthy). The IR version does not cause this side effect. I do take a low dose of only 75 mg/ day (split in two 37.5 doses) so that may be why the difference in side effects. I am unusual in that I don't like the XR or SR versions of any meds. I took adderall XR and has the same side effects as with Wellbutrin. With the IR version, I felt great. It must be something with my body chemistry as I know that isn't typical. I also like the idea of having control how much of a stimulant my body is getting at one time, since it really doesn't always need to be the same (some days I might need more than others). That said, I think the twice per day dosing of the IR is an issue for some people and is why more people seem to take the longer acting versions.

Danish di 11 Jul 2018

What type of problems do you have with XR & SR? Just started IR, as sensitive to ER of anything.
Did you find you had some side effects in the beginning that went away?
I’m restless, brain seems forgetful, heart seems like racing. It’s only been 6 days, but know it’s the Wellbutrin. I’m trying to ride it out, as I’m really desperate & out of options. Any info & envoragnent appreciatd. Danish