Viibryd - Can I cut the 40 mg in quarters?

kaismama 9 May 2015

No, they are coated and cutting would change the absorption. You need to take the dose prescribed.

Rathmullan 9 May 2015

I cut my 40mg pills in half sometimes and with the right instrument (a sharp and heavy knife or a good pill cutter) you can get a precise cut. You wan to use the cut pills up pretty quickly though because the pills are coated and some oxidation and contamination could occur over time due to the lack of protection from the coating. Cutting a half pill again to render a quarter (10 mg) gets a little dicey. It can't be done precisely and then you have even less coating to protect the active ingredient. But if you are aiming for 10 mg., the manufacturer has recently been approved by the FDA to prescribe the drug in a 20 mg. dosage for depression - so Viibryd in 20 mg pills will become more readily available and you could cut that pill in half.