Does Trazodone work as well as Ambien for sleep?

suzanne66 24 Sep 2013

The best sleeping pills are the ones that work for you. Because every person is different, sometimes you need to experiment to figure out what works best for you.
Ambien is probably more effective in treating insomnia. However, as an antidepressant, trazodone has the advantage of treating insomnia while treating concurrent conditions like depression or psychological disorders.

bruthd 25 Sep 2013

I've taken both and find that for me the ambien works better. Trazodone gave me that "hangover" you can get from some meds. I like your name.

sara12345 30 Sep 2013

As mentioned above, it depends on the person which sleep medications work best. Another sleep med other than either Trazodone or Ambien may be best for you. The main problem with Ambien is that long-term use of it is associated with drug tolerance, drug dependence and rebound insomnia. It has been recommended that Ambien be used for short periods of time using the lowest effective dose. These problems have not been reported about Trazodone. Also, some users of Ambien have reported unexplained sleepwalking, sleep driving, binge eating while asleep, and performing other daily tasks while sleeping with no memory of it afterwards. Good luck to you finding a medication that best works for you.

llcmal 5 Oct 2013

Trazodone didn't help me sleep at all. Ambien has always worked better. It does depend on different variables though. Like how high is the dosage of Trazodone. How often do you need to take something to sleep? Do you have a sleep disorder that causes insomnia or do you have insomnia & chronic pain?